Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Table help

etomczak
etomczak Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I know this must get posted 100s of times, but I am about to buy a large egg and have decided that I want a table as well. From the local retailers, I have pinpointed one from Knox Pools in Pompano Beach, FL. It is non pressure treated with a stainless steel top and decent casters on the bottom. I live in South Florida and was wondering what you all recommennd as far as materials, staining/sealing, etc.

Thank you so much for your input and I look forward to being on the forum in the future!

Eric

Comments

• I just got my first large BGE and table on Friday. The very helpful man at the hardware store recommended that I use Cabot Stains Australian Timber Oil. I selected the Jarrah Brown for the cedar table and it came out fantastic! It started raining just after I put the table and egg on my deck and I saw that the rain was beading up on the table, just like I hoped. Here is the link to the page for the oil, and if I knew how, I would post some pictures of my table. One can of the oil should be enough, but that depends on how many coats you are going to put on it.

http://www.cabotstain.com/products/product/Australian-Timber-Oil.html?productTypeName=Staining Products
  • Here is a picture (I think)from the previous post about the stain.

bge1.jpg
  • Dex
    Dex Posts: 85
    Dont think that you HAVE to stain it. I personally like the natural look of the wood. Here is my table I built with cedar wood and I just sealed it.

DSC00212.jpg
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I prefer cypress as a building material as it is pretty much rot proof. It should be readily available in your area [but not at big box stores].
    I like to use marine polyurethane spar varnish as a finish. It is durable and gives good UV protection.
    There is a pic of one of my tables just a few posts down the page, "Oddball Egg Table", or something like that. That table is not quite one year old, is always outside and never covered. :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • I agree with not HAVING to stain it. I argued with myself for a long time about "to stain or not to stain". Your table looks great! I love the marble top. I am trying to find a cutting board or something that I can put on mine so that the hot parts don't burn the wood.
  • Thanks guys. I am buying it today or tomorrow found out it is cypress wood and has a stainless steel top. I don't mind the color at all, but had to make a deal that if I was buying 'that big ugly egg' I had to get it to match our furniture! To be honest, the real drive for me to get a table was so that I had a place to fasten my bulldog beer bottle opener!

Thanks again for the advice...
  • I have to ask if you are from north Georgia. There is a person who teaches where I do with the last name Tomczak.
    Enjoy your table and egg!
  • I have a cousin in Alpharetta (Brian) but he is not a teacher (not to my knowledge at least!)
  • sbmfj
    sbmfj Posts: 37
    Hi,

I stained my wood floors with a clear coat (looks kinda like a Royal oak color, golden type color, typical color for a wood floor)and have a ton of stain left. any harm in using this for my egg table (I havent even purchased my egg yet, but have been thinkning about my table)

Thanks!
  • I don't see any harm in it at all. I have seen lots of tables that were done with a clear coat. There is a picture of one in this thread up a bit higher. It took me a long time to decide if I wanted to clear coat mine or stain it darker, I just decided I liked the darker color with the green of the egg.