Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Curried Goodness in the Dutch Oven!

Options
Little Chef
Little Chef Posts: 4,725
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While watching the new cooking channel, I was inspired by a show called The Spice Goddess. She does Indian cuisine, and it got my tongue wagging for a good indian curry dish. My intent was some curried lamb, but there was no decent lamb to be found. (And I sure wasn't going to waste a leg of lamb on a slow braise!!) So, acknowledging that beef is tabu in India, my apologies, but I used a 7 bone chuck roast, and some lamb neck for the lamb flavors.
The entire meal was cooked in the egg, and for those wondering about the Dutch Oven, this is a Lodge 9qt, and I love it!

Here we go.....
007-5.jpg
Half the bone in roast, and the lamb necks searing. Yes...the Dutch Oven is directly on the coals for the sear. Works great!

A few raws and the spices...
001-3.jpg
Chopped garlic, red onion, and microplaned ginger. In the bowl from 6 o'clock...Tumeric powder, chili powder, Garam Marsala, asafoetida, sambal, and black mustard seed. And not pictured is fresh curry leaves. Wow is that a fantastic flavor!

Onions sauteed, ginger and garlic added....
011-4.jpg
Spices added for toasting.

012-5.jpg
Spices toasted for a few minutes. (Wow...what an aroma!) You can see a bit better in this shot the DO is directly on the coals.

013-3.jpg
Added a can of coconut milk, and a large can of petite diced tomatoes.

016-3.jpg
Everybody is in the pool now!! Brought back to a simmer while still directly on the coals.

017-2.jpg
Now everybody is going to get happy and tender. A couple hours indirect on the grid. Added some large cut carrots, quartered yellow onion, and some chic peas for the last hour.

And now for the great let down...lol...the plated pic. (I shouldn't even post this) :pinch:
022-2.jpg
Talk about bad lighting! :blush: Curry was served with steamed Basmati rice and a cilantro garnish. It really was delicious.

Hope you enjoyed! Thanks for looking. :)

Comments

• BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Wow, very nice Michelle! I went to high school in Southeast Asia and really enjoy curry flavors but the process intimidates me a bit so I seldom dabble in it. May have to give this a try. Thanks for posting!

Bruce
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Oh yes that does look so good, but you may not be voted into the Hindu Hall of Fame. :ermm:
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Making different types of curries like Thai and Indian curries is a lot of fun for me. I need to try it on my new Egg. I love that show also. That new network is owned by the Food Network, but is a lot better especially if you want to actually learn new recipes.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Bruce...You probably weren't comfortable staring at your first watermelon to sculpt either... :blink: . Jump in! The water is fine!! What's the worst that can happen?? Maybe it doesn't turn out how you remember in Asia, but I bet it will still be kickin' good! :) The larger the leap, the greater the reward. ;) Jump!! :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    I know...I know... :blush: Fortunately this is the Big Green Egg forum, and not the "How to cook classical Indian Food" forum... :blink: :whistle:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    The new channel has come a long way since they first started airing. I was very disappointed at first, but they do seem to be coming around. I don't want to go to a new channel, and see the same re-runs I have seen on the other. But again, it seems to be getting much better. ;)
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Yum!! I love curry... Almost didn't read your post, LC ... Have developed an aversion to the word "goodness" from the lady with the big white hair on the food network! LOL. :silly: :lol: :woohoo: I've started to mute her on a regular basis! Hope you are well and enjoying the summer. We've had a great one here. :)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    You are a live!!! I asked you brother if you were the other day :) I will give you a shout later.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Michelle, that looks wonderful! (even the last pic :whistle:) that made me think of you doing the wonderful sausage soup in Atlanta and everyone freaking out cause you put the dutch oven down on the coals LOL I need to dig out that recipe and take it camping next week. yummy on those crisp mt evening :)
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Wow. That looks great, LC ! I've been proud of my curries, but I use curry powder from Penzey's. I don't even know what most of your spices are, but I'm sure it's better than store bought curry powder.

I really want to find this new food channel. The other one seems to only have chef contests anymore.

BTW, your plating was pretty, and I thought I'd try to spruce the picture up a bit in Photoshop. I hope you don't mind.

curry.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    wow - neat photo story - thanks for sharing

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Beautiful Michelle. My son cooks Indian often - main course, sides and dessert. He took a non credit course with a group of about 12 at an Indian professor's house while at LSU. We love it when he visits and asks if we feel like Indian during his visit. He travels with his spices. :)

I put my CI on the lump occasionally as well - usually when making a roux for a gumbo.

Beautiful dinner.
  • highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    Options
    LC,
    that is a fantastic looking meal. Thanks for the write up and the pics. I bet the flavor was amazing. I must admit i'm not familiar with at lesat 3 or 4 of the spices you mentioned in the second pic. I'd be lost just trying to gather all the ingedrients. :side: Nicely done, looks wonderful.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    That looks delicious. Gotta love being able to make curry without stinking up the house.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Michelle, your curry looks divine! :)

Curries are such a labor of love with all the spice grinding and preperation, but the results are well worth the effort.

I for one love the smell of a simmering curry.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi Michelle, that looks delicious. Too bad you couldn't find the lamb. I'm sure it tasted great with the beef.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    I'm at a loss for words Michelle........FANTASTIC!!!
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    YUM That looks awesome
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Now you are talking Michelle! Isn't the fragrance of the spices toasting killer? You can get the Kiwi lamb in bone in stewing cuts. Goat is better.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. It was well worth the efforts.
    And Steve, I just got Tim enjoying lamb just a couple years ago. I think I will wait a bit before broaching the Goat... :laugh: . Admittedly, goat is my first choice when I eat Indian food at an authentic restaurant. B)
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Hey LC that looks awesome, I could smell the flavors from here almost. I love using the dutch over in the egg. Wish i had some of that. GOOD EATS LC ;)