Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

been awhile. doing a brisket

Egg-on-Medford
Egg-on-Medford Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
started at 9 am. have had the best temp control, dome 250F fairly constant. at 6 hours, I closed a little to try to get down to 225, but it's not coming down. internal temp 160-170ish at 6.5 hours. more details later.
used John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub and some black pepper
rawbrsktsm.jpg
rawbrsktrubdsm.jpg
brskton1sm.jpg
brskt172.jpg

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Still in it's plateau. Some people might want to wrap it in foil now to keep some moisture in. I've never done a flat, so I don't know.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Nice pictures. I cooked two flats yesterday and each weighed about 7 lbs. Kept the dome temp at about 240-250 for the whole cook and it only took 7 hours. Pulled them both at 195 internal temp, wrapped in foil, and let rest in an ice chest for 6 hours due to the cook taking less time than I expected. They were still at 142 internal temp when I sliced them and were moist. I'm not a fan of foiling them unless I'm having temperature control problems. If you leave enough fat on the brisket and cook low and slow, no need to foil.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • I think the brisket was overtrimmed. Very little fat. I plugged in my remote thermometer for the end so I wouldn't have to open the egg to check temp. Also, I tried to decrease the temp to 225, but it went down to 200, so I pushed it back up to 250 over an hour or so.
    Bottom line, I pulled at 185-190 internal temp after 9 hours. Let it rest about 15 minutes in foil and sliced. Got a nice smoke ring. The brisket was a little dry, but still pretty tender; hey, my wife even liked it. We sliced the end with less fat. Then, I sliced the other end with fat at the edge--much moister. I think I'm gonna see if the guys at Costco could leave a thicker rim of fat on the whole brisket next time.
    Overall, much better than my first brisket. Hopefully I'll do a pork shoulder this week, too, since I'm on staycation.

smokering.jpg

plated with tomato/Indian cucumber/onion salad from Green Market, a big farmers market in Lincoln Park Saturday morning in Chicago. Also some coleslaw from Carson's (rib place)
    plated.jpg

the "back" end with some fat; moister
    fatendcooked.jpg

here's my rub
    spices.jpg