Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Liquid in drip pan ?

Options
lakebndegg
lakebndegg Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a question
Does anyone use some type of liquid in their drip pan when cooking a brisket or butt cook?
I have been using a weber bullet until I bought my egg.
I cooked a butt yesterday and put cider vinegar in my drip pan. The butt tasted great but I wasn't happy with the chewiness if the meat. Today I cooked a brisket using a pple juice in my drip pan. The brisket came out pretty tasty(my eighty five year old father said it tasted better than the brisket sold at the Pitt in Raleigh,NC) I will try my butt dry next weekend.
Thanks for the replies

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I never use any liquid in the drip pan. I don't see where it adds anything to the end product.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i agree with fidel.. i use the drip pan to help with clean up more than any other reason...

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    lakebndegg...We never have before. Don't think it adds any benefit to the flavors. About the only time I use liquid in a dry cook is if I want to make a reduction sauce at the end, like a white wine sauce for a cornish hen or something. Just raise your drip pan off the platesetter with the green feet, or some aluminum foil balls so the drip pan is not directly on the platesetter. No liquid needed IMO. And welcome to the forum!
  • Hoss
    Options
    I always use a liquid.Not to add anything but to make cleaning the drip pan easier. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    lakebndegg, I don't have any liquid in my drip pan but, I know others that do. I foil line my drip pan for easy clean up. I also allow for an air gap between my drip pan and plate setter.

What I do is when I use a food probe like a Maverick ET-73 and my butt comes to temp to pull (195-205 degrees). I first check my butt in different places with my thermapen. Sometimes I leave the but in longer because the butt is not done in several other places so I move the food probe to a colder place in the butt and wait a little longer.

There have been times when my butt is fantastic melt in your mouth and a tough grainy piece sometimes as well.

I love my butt cooks because when it's time to shred the meat I sample more than my fair share. :P
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Foil the drip pan...fold...fold...toss!! No sponge needed. :laugh: :whistle:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Or use dirt cheap, disposable drip pans! I think mine are about 50¢ each. :)

I've never added liquid.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Options
  • Hoss
    Options
    I just like to use a little liquid in the pan to be different. ;)
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I have never used water/liquids in a drip pan since I got an Egg.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    The advantage of the Egg over the Weber bullet is it's amazing moisture-retention properties. It is very much noticeable when cooking poultry - chicken and turkey couldn't come out moister!

Some will use liquid in the drip pan, like LC said, if they are planning to make a sauce or gravy (for turkey especially), but NOT to improve the moisture in the meat.

Try your butt low and slow (240-250* dome temp) over a dry drip pan (separated by an air space from your platesetter) until the internal temp reaches 200-205*. Remove it from the egg, double wrap in foil and place in a dry cooler for an hour or so. Carefully remove the foil and pull. Delish ! :woohoo:
  • lakebndegg
    Options
    Thanks to everyone
    I'll try the dry approach with the feet under the drip pan