Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

annual maintance

Options
TnVolKen
TnVolKen Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I have had my eggs for about a year now, is there any annual maintance that I should be doing?

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Make sure the band bolts are still tight.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    What Eddie said but do not just check a annual. I check about every third time, keep the wrench by the egg.
    Watch the forum and one will drop about every 2 or 3 months and we are a small percent of egg owners.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    personally if your nuts have to be re-tightened after every 3rd use I'd say they were not properly tightened in the first place. BGE recommends they be tightened so hard as to bend the bolt. Then if you do as I suggest you won't have a problem again. That is to bend the bolt and then run a second nut up behind the first and that will secure them. It's an old mechanics' trick called double nutting - seriously, it works!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Will try that. Have not been tighting after each 3 or 4 times, just checking.
    WIll do what you suggest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    this summer for kicks and giggles I checked my double nutted bolts for the first time in at least 5 years and they are tight!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.