Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try at homemade pizza dough *ping cooknbiker

Roll Tide
Roll Tide Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to try my hand at homemade dough. However, without a mixer I was left to use my processor with dough hook, which many agree is a good second, or do it by hand. I chose to do it by hand this time. I have to say that I learned a lot about working with dough and I believe that next time I will turn out a bettr product, but I have to say that this pizza was pretty darn good.

MOlly requested the recipe so here it is. I used a recipe of wolfgang pucks, that I believe he developed for california pizza kitchen.

IN bowl mix 1 pack dry active yeast with 1tsp honey, 1/4c water(105-115*) and let set for 10 minutes or so to activate.
Then, add 1 tsp kosher salt, 1tbsp evoo, 3/4c water(105-115*), 1 cup flour and mix with spoon
After mixed, add another 1 cup of flour and mix with spoon
Then add a half cup flour and mix.
Remove from bowl and place half cup flour on board and knead dough ball in with the remaining flour on board.
Let rise for half hour, punch down divide into two balls and let rise another 20-30 minutes and cook.

DSC_1332.jpg

DSC_1339.jpg

Comments

• Looks Awesome!

What is "evoo" in your ingredients list?
  • Looks mighty fine! I personally believe it is better to make the dough 1 day in advance and place in refridgerator. The longer sit time helps to develop flavors in the dough.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Thanks. What a difference in amounts of ingredients. Mine is 1/4 tsp yeast, 1 1/2 tst salt, 3 c. flour and 1 1/2 c. h2o. I don't have a mixer and my processer is small. this was a no knead.
    How was texture, flavor. It looks reall good. Also what temp did you cook at.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Roll Tide
    Thanks! evoo= extra virgin olive oil
  • Roll Tide
    I agree with you about sitting overnight atleast. the recipe I used said to use it right awa, so I did this time, but next time I will certainly let it sit for a day or so. Thanks for looking and I appreciate your comments.
  • Roll Tide
    Thanks Molly,
    There is quite a bit of difference in ingredient list for sure. Let me know how your turned out and I may have to try it next time. The dough really rose when I cooked it. You can't tell as much in the pic I posted, but the second pizza rose a lot during the cook. It was kinda light, but had a really nice flavor and good crust. It reminded me a little of mellow mushroom if you've ever tried their pizza.
  • Roll Tide
    forgot to add, i cooked at 550*,
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Cool thanks. My son works a a Italian joint and they have a honey wheat crust that is really good. I will try your next time whith half whear. I'll let you know how mine turns out later today.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I think you got the hang of it, very nice. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.