Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

9 racks on the Large BGE

Options
Lei'd-n-Egg
Lei'd-n-Egg Posts: 289
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy Gang, I have 9 racks of Baby Backs on the LBGE this morning. All seems to be going well, but I thought I'd check in with the forum for advice.

(see pics below) My plan is to rotate the racks every 60-90 minutes and spritz with half-n-half apple juice and apple cider vinegar. And I'll probably go for 4 hours, sauce them up, and then pull around 5 hours (after the bend test of course).

Do I need to worry about my setup? Any other advice is much appreciated. Thanks, Bryan

IMG_2986.jpg
IMG_2987.jpg

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    :P Wow that looks great! I think you are good with that plan.. might go a little over though due to the mass there. I have not done enough ribs or large amounts to be able to help there. but rotating will help and drop the temp a lot with all the time open. so I think adding more cook time is going to be needed. what temp are you cooking at?
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    You're probably right, might need more than 5 hrs. I am cooking at 230 dome, slowly bringing up to 250. Plan to finish with sauce at 275'ish though.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Looks good !

I haven't done more than 6 racks, but it looks like you have got it set up good.

Post some pics along the wa so we can see how it's doing.
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    Someone on this forum has a legendary photo of 18 or 20 slabs on the Egg. I belive the Egger's name was "Spin". He stood each slab up on it's side and laid them across the grid until the whole inside was full. During the cook we would often wiggle and rotate each slab to get them to cook evenly.
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the replys. Please keep'em coming.

Until then, here's the first update report/picture after 90 mins on the Egg.
    - Did my first rotation, 3 from rib rack are now on top
    - The whole backyard smells amazing
    - Ribs seem to be cooking well
    - Temp still at 230, may need to bump it up a bit
    - I'm a little worried I didn't put enough lump, although I had the fire box completely full

More to come ...

IMG_2988.jpg
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I agree with Julie - probably looking at 6 to 6-1/2 hours due to the sheer mass.

I would wait until after hour 3 to spritz and only rotate if it looks like the end of one of the racks is getting overcooked - like from hanging just of the end of the platesetter.

Saucing after the bend test and leaving on for 20 minutes or so would be my preference so the sugar in the sauce doesn't caramelize in the last hour or so.

Good luck with it
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    Awesomeness. Please post pics of your results and times.
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    wow, what a great cook !

Looking forward to the next pics !
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Is the grid completely covered with foil other than that 3" or so gap in the center? Rotating is a good idea with that many, but I do agree it will add to total cook time...spritzing is NOT necessary, but certainly wont hurt anything either...Keep us posted..
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    Thanks Wess. The grid is not completly covered with foil, I just put about 2 inches foil in 3 spots to cover the gaps where the plate setter is open. Found it helps to keep the edges of my ribs from cooking too fast.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    That should work fine...something I've been doing for the last couple of years is to foil wrap the ends of the racks, maybe 2 or 3" on each end for the first couple of hours to prevent the ends from overcooking...but your set up will be achieving the same idea....
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    Hour 3 update.
    - Still moving along nicely
    - Ends are crisping a little
    - Starting to see a little pull back on the bones now
    - Might be about 5.5 hour cook, but we'll see
    - Will definitely take the advice and only sauce for last 20-30 mins.

Quick pic:
    IMG_2990.jpg
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Lei'd-n-Egg, Chef Wil egged 20 slabs on a large!

image001.jpg

Your set up looks good and your last pic shows the ribs well on their way to perfection. Like the others, I suspect your cook will take longer.
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    Thanks for posting that classic pic! It belongs in the Egghead Hall Of Fame....if there were one! ;)
  • Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    Options
    Looks like fun! At 230-250 degrees I think you will go 6-7 hours easily for nicely cooked ribs....that is quite a load of meat. Be careful with all your opening and turning and spitting....it will be hard to keep your temps low when you keep opening that lid. Good luck and enjoy.
  • Eggator
    Eggator Posts: 12
    Options
    I don't see the final pics so I will jump in with the end user perspective. Lei'd brought the ribs to a work function today and they were outstanding. I'm sure he'll share the details on the cook process but the results speak for themselves. Good stuff B!