Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's pizza-saved a slice for GG!

ResQue
ResQue Posts: 1,045
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pizza night. I used Reinhart's Napoletana recipe. I didn't realize until today that he has two different recipes for Napoletana pizza dough. I have tried the recipe from Bread Baker's apprentice before. Tonight was the recipe out of American Pie. In my opinion, the recipe from American Pie is much better than the other. I baked on the egg at 525* with platesetter legs down, green feet, and stone on top of feet. They came out very well. There is still room for improvement though. Next time I will use the same setup and increase the temp to 550* to see what the results are.

Margherita before:
DSC_0103.jpg

And after:
DSC_0105.jpg

Pep, Hot sausage, grn pepper, onion. Before:
DSC_0104.jpg

After:
DSC_0110.jpg

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Thanks for posting the picture. The end result makes me wish I was at your dinner table. Hope it was good tasting as it looked.

Was it cooked all the way through as opposed to what you told me about the previous pie?

Nice job Aaron.

Kent
  • ResQue
    Yes. It was definitely better than the last pie. I think by increasing the temp by another 25* to a toatl of 550* will get the crust nice and brown on top. Really, the crust was perfect in texture and taste, just not in color. I'll send you the recipe I used tonight and you can compare the two different dough's for yourself. Thanks again for all the help.

Now I am getting ready for the first stoker cook. 14lbs packer with a Tejas style rub.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Jager: The Packer is going to be a pretty long cook!! And after a high temp pizza cook, I hope you plan to refill on lump!! Don't want to see a 'my fire went out' post from your tomorrow! :laugh: Reload well! :)
    ps...Nice job on the pies!! :)
  • ResQue
    Thanks on the pies reply. I just put the packer on. It is just under 14#. After the pies were done, I let the egg cool, cleaned it out, and loaded with fresh lump and wood chunks, let the egg stabilize, and now we'll see what happens. Hopefully the stoker will give me some sleep. This is my first stoker cook so I will still probably get up once to check the progress.
  • Grandpas Grub

First Stoker cook + 14# Packer = sleep. NOT! :laugh: :laugh:

Well it's now morning and you should be up. How did the night go and how is the cook going? Take some pictures and get that brisket post going.

GG

Hope you took some pictures
  • ResQue
    Cook is doing great. I only got up once to check and the stoker had it cruising right along. the brisket is in the plateau and has been since 6am. I upped the temp to 250* grate to help speed it up.
  • Grandpas Grub

What size blower did you buy?

Once I had the fire go out using my digiq but that was due to my lighting, I had a vertical burn and quickly learned to light the lump in more than one spot. I usually get up once or twice during a overnight even if I am using the Stoker or q2, the alarms don't wake me up.

Are you going to separate the flat from the point & continue cooking the point or pull the whole brisket at once?

GG
  • ResQue
    I bought the 5cfm like they recommend for the large. I plan on separating the point whenever the flat is done. I have always lit in three spots, so I have never(knock on wood) had a problem with my fire going out.