Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Neelys are nuts

AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the last issue of the Food Network magazine, Pat and Gina have an article on cooking pulled pork. They say to cook a butt about 6 hours to an internal temp of 165. That wouldn't even be out of the plateau. They don't need to be teaching cooking, they should just get a room. -RP

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL agreed.. and they pulled not sliced?? hmmm that must where he gets those biceps LOL
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    I read the article myself, I had to reread it to make sure what it said. I will do my pulled pork the egg way.

Patti
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Randy, I don't they would need a room. Just a place. LMAO. Ronnie.
  • We never watch them - they are a waste of time when it comes to cooking.
  • AZRP
    Unfortunately millions of people will be very disappointed when they try that recipe. -RP
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Don't they own a BBQ joint near Memphis? Unbelievable!
    IMO, when they got a show on FN, it marked the beginning of the end of my interest in that channel. If not for "Good Eats", and an occassional "Boy Meets Grill" episode I would no longer put it on.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    I believe their family owns Interstate BBQ. Can't stomach watching them.
  • Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    wow... I like Pat.. Wish they would get rid of Gina.. She's terrible and adds nothing to the show.
  • Actually, I think the Neely's are correct, and a number of forum member will agree.

I didn't read the article but it certainly possible to cook PP in that time, you just have to have the temp at 350 rather than 250.

I've never done a side by side of the 'hot 'n fast' versus 'low 'n slow' but GG has posted numerous times that he has and he can't really tell the difference (at least I think he has).
  • Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    They own Neely's BBQ... there are 3 stores spread throughout Tennessee. here's a link.

http://www.neelysbbq.com/
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    It's not the cooking time at issue here - it's the fact that pork is not pullable at a 165&deg internal temp.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Tweev-tip:

Re-read the post...the time wasn't what Randy was commenting on...it was the internal temp of 165!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Fidel:

You beat me by 6 seconds!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    You would think that all these cooking shows and magazines would have a test run of the recipes by someone on the staff before going to press or filming. Go figure.
  • Ahh, sorry, I read that wrong - I've been suffering from sleep deprivation lately. My bad.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Pat's an idiot. The first couple of episodes he couldn't even chop an onion. To say they are undeserving of a show is a huge understatement.
    I had FN on as background the other day, and unable to find the remote when the Feely's came on. I heard Pat say something to the affect of "I'm all about the greeel", then he turns and puts some chicken on a grill-pan on the stove.
    I think this article in the Mag proves they are clueless, even when it comes to their claim to fame...BBQ.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Randy, one of the Neely brothers used to come in my store a few years ago (when they were getting their Nashville restaurant up and running). He was a very friendly guy and he smelled good.

I was very excited to learn of his brother's show on FN. Sadly it only took a couple of episodes for me to quit watching.I do feel sorry for those who will think that magazine article is the way to cook pulled pork.

Walt
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I watched about this much of their show one time and quickly determined they didn't know what they were talking about.

Of course, anyone with lowered expectations will eat it and give praise to the cook.

Spring "Top Shelf Expectations" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Sorry, but I hate that show...all the jive talk and kissy kissy stuff and no good recipes...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've never seen the show. The way things have gone to the dogs at FN, I rarely watch it at all. The occasional Good Eats is about it for me. I do like AB. :silly:

I am not surprised to hear that they are giving bad advice. This IS Food Network after all. I AM surprised to learn that they are the Memphis Neelys! They always seem to be mentioned in the lists of "must try" joints in Memphis. You would think they would have some clue! Apparently, they are just another Rendezvous.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    That show is a total joke Randy and should be pulled off the air.

Larry
  • Bluedot
    Bluedot Posts: 82
    As a native Memphian, I can tell you that most of the BBQ restaurants that get all the hype here are just ok at best. Charlie Vergos created an institution here with the Rendezvous. Good food but overrated. Neely's BBQ is also ok but overrated. Corky's is fine if you are in to your sauce being over powered by Liquid Smoke. Again overrated. The best BBQ around here actually can be found in backyards where the cooks take the time to do it right. I have no affiliation with the Germantown Commissary but I believe they put out a really good finished product.

As for Pat and Gina. They are two of the nicest and most genuine people I know. They are very active in the community and do lead by example. I regularly do volunteer work for our local Ronald McDonald house and not once have Pat or Gina ever let me down when it comes to donating food, time, event tickets, or pantry needs. Great people and their Que is ok.
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Myself....I don't blame the Neelys...I blame Food Network.

They've taken their focus from food and put it into face. When the overabundance of quirky mannerisms take over the show, the food becomes afterthought. Don't get me wrong as Justin Wilson and Martin Yan had their own sometimes crazy personalities...they still made it about cooking. Alton Brown just 'gets it'...bottom line is he's head and shoulders above the rest.

I've recently switched to Directv...and have caught a few shows on the Cooking Channel. I've liked some of the things I've seen so far.

Worst case...when it comes to 'cooking' shows, just give me Public Television and I'll be safe.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    All I will say is she gets on my last nerve..

I already made comment on the 165 temp.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    I read that too and told the wife I would just as soon skip that meal. There is no way they pulled that without power tools. :laugh:
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • AZRP
    And the recipe said cook at 250-275. -RP
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Soooooo TRUE!!!!!
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Bluedot wrote:
    As a native Memphian, I can tell you that most of the BBQ restaurants that get all the hype here are just ok at best. Charlie Vergos created an institution here with the Rendezvous. Good food but overrated. Neely's BBQ is also ok but overrated. Corky's is fine if you are in to your sauce being over powered by Liquid Smoke. Again overrated. The best BBQ around here actually can be found in backyards where the cooks take the time to do it right. I have no affiliation with the Germantown Commissary but I believe they put out a really good finished product.

As for Pat and Gina. They are two of the nicest and most genuine people I know. They are very active in the community and do lead by example. I regularly do volunteer work for our local Ronald McDonald house and not once have Pat or Gina ever let me down when it comes to donating food, time, event tickets, or pantry needs. Great people and their Que is ok.

I agree with Germantown Commissary being good. Central BBQ is pretty good also. I'm happy to hear that Pat and Gina help out the community, but as far as their show, it is pretty bad.
  • highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    yeah, i've watched their show before. THey did an episode of spareribs, i think head said cook at 250* for an unusually small amount of time.. 3, maybe 4 hours? umm me thinks i'll stick to my spares that have been on for 6 or 7 hours...But they do make some dishes that look really good...