Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Boston Butt

Options
EggLuver
EggLuver Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a small butt and a few questions.

* Should the lump be filled to the top of the firebox or the fire ring?

* Should the platesetter be used on top of the fire ring (legs up) with a drip pan and the grid on top of the legs?

* Is it better to put the butt in a v-rack or just directly on the grill?

* According to Elder (from Naked Whiz site) you put the wood chunk in the center right after fire is going and immediately put the butt on. Shouldn't I wait a while for the smoke to turn clear before putting the meat on? If so, should I put the smoking chunk in just before I put the butt on the egg?

Thanks for your help and advise.

Comments

• Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    Hi Eggluver,

Welcome to the forum. Well I certainly not an eggspert in butts, I can still pass along some advice. In terms of the lump, you can fill it up beyond the firebox -- the more lump, the longer you can cook. However, you say you have a small butt so you may not have to go all that long. You will want to stabilize your egg at about 250 dome temp which will give you 225 grid temp before putting the meat in. Mix in the wood chunks with the lump or place it on top before you put the platesetter in -- platesetter will be legs up. Do use a drip pan. I have not used the v rack although there is no harm in doing so. The egg is real good at cooking up pork butt and you will be pleased with the results. Best of luck with your cook.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Options
    Either to the top of the fire ring or the firebox should be fine. Set up sounds fine except I use a v-rack and set that inside my drip pan on the grid. Of course not everyone uses a v-rack but either way works. You don't want to be pulling the place setter up to add the chunks. It is heavy and it will be hot. I just spread several chunks throughout before putting on the place setter. As long as you are using chunks they will not burn up before the smoke clears. I've had cooks finish and still had chunks left.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You need to put everything but the meat in and let it come up to temp together. That includes that chuck or three of wood you are adding. Let the smoke clear.

Lump up to the top of the fire box is sufficient.

Platesetter feet up and the drip pan on the platesetter.

Putt the meat on the grill.

Pulled Pork