Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Italian Pork Stew

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This recipe sounds so good! I think cooking it on the Egg in a Dutch oven could only make it better. [p]Pork Stew -- Spezzatino di Maiale
From Kyle Phillips, Your Guide to Italian Cuisine.[p] Pork Stew: Quite obvious, very simple, and if it didn't exist we'd have to invent it.[p] Prep Time : 30min
Cook Time : 1hr 20min
Type of Prep : Simmer
Cuisine : Italian[p] INGREDIENTS:
1 3/4 pound cubed pork
6 ounces pitted mildly tart black olives
1 3/4 pounds canned tomatoes
The leaves of a sprig of fresh rosemary, stripped from the sprig and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced (my note: why would anyone stop at two?)
3/4 cup red wine
3/4 cup dry Marsala
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste[p]PREPARATION:
Sauté the garlic and the rosemary in the olive oil, and once the garlic has turned blonde-brown add the pork. Brown everything, then stir in the Marsala and the wine and cook over a lively flame until they have evaporated. At this point stir in the tomatoes, a cup of hot water, and the olives, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Lower the flame to a simmer and cook for an hour and a half, by which time the sauce should be fairly thick. [p]Serve with a tossed salad, toasted Italian bread, and a light, zesty red wine.

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Gretl, we were talking about Venison earlier today and I'll bet this recipe would be good with Venison shanks or venison stew meat. What do you think?

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    I think it would be very good. I think I'd marinate the venison first.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Aussie_Hugh
    Options
    Gretl,[p]I agree, this recipe does sound tastey. So tastey in fact that I have 1,001 questions for you (well err, almost).[p]When you plan to cook it in the egg what set up are you planning to use (e.g., indirect/raised/temp/duration)? Also will you keep the lid off the Dutch oven or slightly ajar? Finally how much smoke do you plan to use and what woods would you recommend?[p]Thank you,
    Hugh.