Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now I understand lump hoarding

Options
h20egg
h20egg Posts: 168
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When first reading this forum I got the idea that a) these people are nuts, lump charcoal is lump charcoal and b) surely stores carry this stuff, they don't start and stop. Well....

I've been through the brands the nearby stores carry and have decided I'm a Royal Oak guy, I get it. I bought 3 bags at Wallyworld, getting low, go back today and they have not one bag of any kind of lump. A zillion different briquets, but no lump. Sigh. Oh well, I'm over by Lowe's so will stop at THAT one, since my nearer one was out of the Weber starter blocks I like much better than BGE. Doesn't look like they carry them...ever. Passed on the Cowboy, may try some more Harris Teeter lump to see if they cooked it long enough this time.

I really like the RO, I can afford the BGE lump but just because I can I'm not paying what they want for it. Wallyworld is not convenient, so I guess I'll just have to keep going over there and if ever they get I'll load up and be a lump hoarder like I've seen confessions of. Jeesh. Eggin...who knew it would be a quest?

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Allan:

Don't know if you have a GFS in your area, but their branded lump is RO...usually about $13 for a 20# bag.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That is precisely why some of us idiots buy it in large quantities. Your post validates my obsession, at least in my twisted mind.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    yup you have drank the cool aid... it is all up in smoke from here on out. Welcome..
    I am under 8 bags right now and panicking... :huh: we do not leave for Fl till the first of nov.... :ermm:
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Hey Rod, we don't need to justify it to ourselves (we know why)- it is just that momma just don't understand why this spring the boy and I were stacking 330# alongside the 66 i already had.

Walt
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    yup - you got it! My base line inventory stays at 360 pounds, but right now I have 580 pounds on hand!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Yup. And one of those kind of irritating store visits is enough to make you stock up. I had been using the Whole Foods store brand for a while. It worked pretty well, was a reasonable price (the only thing in the store that was), and my wife was there once per week, so it was convenient enough to get it without going out of my way. They switched to a different manufacturer and I didn't like their stuff anymore. Finding anything else besides Cowboy in the area was tough, and I was spending more in gas driving around looking for lump than I was spending on lump itself, so I ordered a pallet of Wicked Good. It's worked out great. Cheaper, good consistent lump, and I don't have to spend time or money looking for lump at multiple stores. Will definitely be getting another pallet when I use this one up.

-John
  • BillB2002
    BillB2002 Posts: 22
    Options
    How does one order a pallet of lump? Through the retailer or through the manufacturer?
  • Big Knife
    Big Knife Posts: 35
    Options
    You guys have got me nervous. I'm only a one-bag-at-a-time guy... :unsure:
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I don't have a clue as to what you are talk'n about! :whistle: :woohoo:

GARAGE.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Me either. :lol::lol:

4109697825_d0cd7ba757_b.jpg

That was from last Fall. Only 4 bags left so it's almost time for another trip to the WG distribution center.

That said, I just got back from Walmart. Bought their last 6 bags of RO. Plenty of Kingsford briquettes though. Maybe I'll try another WM tomorrow. It's August - time for WINTER stock to start showing up. :angry:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    That will never do! Especially if you live in a cold climate. Can be hard to find lump in the winter.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    You can order a pallet of Wicked Good from the manufacturer. No idea about any other brands. If you live anywhere near Holyoke Mass, you can pick it up from their distribution center there and save shipping. Nice guys too!

http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• LoneStarEgg
    Options
    You are not alone Big Knife. I live on the edge too, one bag at a time. :woohoo:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Michael,

What do you pay at the distributer?
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Adam, it was about $13 for each 22lb bag. I just looked and it appears the price is still the same. They even helped me load it in my car. :)

They are only about 20something miles from me. Bit of a hike for you!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut