Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts done early

llrickman
llrickman Posts: 654
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put 2 butts on the egg last night around midnight. One was finished at about 7:30 this morning the other around 9 .Last ones i made about the same size took over 14 hours

I always put them wrapped in foil and towels in the cooler till im ready to pull.

My question is how long can i leave one in the cooler before it needs to be pulled and refrigerated.

Were not going to our friends till around 6 this evening

Whats my best plan to make sure everything is a ok?

Thanks

Larry
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Doesn't the cooking time difference drive ya nutz! :laugh: I've kept 8-9 lb cooked butts in an Igloo cooler tucked in towels for up to 6 hours, and when I removed the foil the meat was still extremely hot (steaming) and shredded with no effort. The bark had lost most of its crunchiness do to the steaming, but that was the only drawback. Good luck and enjoy your meal.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    temp needs to stay above 140 at the meat...
    I often take regular bricks, wrap in HDAF, and heat to 300 in the oven... wrap in a towel and put on the bottom of the ice chest... put the wrapped meat on top... 6-8 hours worth of holding time
    Kent Madison MS