Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect

Options
batfire
batfire Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How can I cook indirect on my new med. BGE ?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    batfire,
    here's a good place to start [p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm[p]lotsa stuff to check out.
    welcome aboard

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    batfire,yes, welcome ! Always cook bats over an indirect fire or they will dry out. You are a couple weeks early for cooking them. : ) All kidding aside,BGE does have a plate setter for the medium. If you can attend Eggtoberfest next week you will see and learn a lot.Try to come!!

• batfire,
    I utilize firebricks, a second grate, and a drip pan to cook indirect.
    I place a grate on the firebox as normal
    Place 3 firebricks on their edges spaced around the perimeter
    Put 2 or 3 bricks laying flat on the grate
    Put a drip pan on top of the flat bricks
    Place a second grate on top of the bricks on their edges.[p]This works well for the large. It puts the raised grate just above the edge of the egg. A medium might be a little different.[p]This should help with your firebricks question as well.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MyBge.jpg
    <p />batfire, check out the link below - if you do decide to do firebricks, look for 'splits' - any good brckyard (and maybe Menard's or Lowes) will have them.[p]also check out <a target="_blank" href="http://bbq.yyyz.net/">Gfw's BBQ</a> - everything cooked on the medium that appears in the picture.[p]Good luck! :~}
    [ul][li]Firebricks[/ul]