Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

???? Cast Iron for Spider

Options
TnVolKen
TnVolKen Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for a Cast Iron Grate for use in the large BGE using the spider. Any help?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Best options that I am aware of is using a CI grate for a small or grind a medium one down to size.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    The CI grate for the small works in the spider for the large BGE.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Unless something has changed the C-I grid for a size med BGE fits the spider used in a lrg BGE. It fits into mine.
    Tjv could tell you for sure if there have been changes in dimensions.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    You are probably right. I did a Google search for the OP and one of the sites had the same set-up and used a small CI grate on his large spider. I will be buying a CI grate for my spider in the next few days, so I need to make sure which one fits. Of course I would like the largest size that fits.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Probably be best to just shoot the CI dudes an email and ask. I'd like to know b/c I want to do that too.

The close to lump sear's with the spider and CI seems to be a much elegant option that heating the whole egg up to 600 then letting it cool down for 15 minutes.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I was just going to post the same thing.

I bought a large CI, now wishing I had got the med CI grid. I use the med. grid on the spider all the time.

My large is about 4 years old.

If you are unsure then call tjv or measure a medium CI grid at the dealer and check the measurements at home.

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    It depends how old your large egg is. About 2.5 years ago, give or take, there were some design changes. Prior to that the medium CI grid fit fine in the large firebox on the spider. After that it does not fit and when it expands it may cause some damage.
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
    the 13" for the small fits it perfectly
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I can confirm by experience what Fidel just posted. Got my large about 2.5 years ago, and the medium cast iron grid will not fit on the Spider, but the small will. For information's sake, the small cast iron grate just catches the edge of the grill ring of a medium, too, meaning that I can use it in both my Eggs.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    I have a large egg and use a small CI grid which is 13". I just went to measure and it appears that the spider will hold up to a 15" grid. I would ask tjv just to be sure though.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

As I recall 2Fategghead had a post about in the last couple of weeks. He ground a med. CI down in order to get more grid space.

Just saw your note... congratulations, you just saved $30 for that app.

GG
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I use the grid from a small BGE. Here is a pic left the adjustable rig on in this one (not sure why I did that):

20080920%20Steaks%20on%20New%20Spider.jpg
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Yeah, thanks again. I really appreciate the help.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    You are correct, early 2008 the ID of the large fire ring changed, went from 16" ID to 15-5/8" ID. We had to update the Spider. So, the CI went from the medium 15" to the small 13". To bad because the 15 was a sweet fit.

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I found out the hard way Tom when I put my spider and 15" CI grid into a new egg for a demo cook.

Nothing broke, but it was tough to get that sucker out of there when I was done cooking.