Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is Medium Heat?

Options
eyekwah
eyekwah Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have come across the below recipe to make some Jambalaya. If you read it it talks about medium heat. I will assume that this is direct but what temperature would you say is medium heat?

Andouille And Chicken Jambalaya

1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped bell peppers
3 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lb andouille sausage, cut 1/4" slices
(or other smoked sausage such as chorizo)
1 1/2 lbs boneless white and dark chicken meat, cut 1" cubes
3 bay leaves
3 cups medium-grain white rice
6 cups water
1 cup chopped green onions

1. Heat the oil in a large cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, 2 teaspoons of the salt and 1 teaspoon of the cayenne. Stirring often, brown the vegetables for about 20 minutes, or until they are caramelized and dark-brown in color. Scrape the bottom and sides of the pot to loosen any browned particles. Add the sausage and cook, stirring often for 10 to 15 minutes, scraping the bottom and sides of the pot to loosen any browned particles.

2. Season the chicken with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. Add the chicken and the bay leaves to the pot. Brown the chicken for 8 to 10 minutes, scrapping the bottom of the pot to loosen any browned particles.

3. Add the rice and stir for 2 to 3 minutes to coat it evenly. Add the water, stir to combine, and cover. Cook over medium heat for 30 to 35 minutes, without stirring, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Remove the pot from the heat and let stand, covered for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Stir in the green onions and serve.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    i'd say 350-450 ( is medium heat)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Medium could be direct or indirect. Do you have a platesetter?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • eyekwah
    Options
    cookn biker wrote:
    Medium could be direct or indirect. Do you have a platesetter?
    Yes I do have a platesetter
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Like Ripnem said, 350ish is medium to me. You can obtain that with or without the platesetter. Let us know and relax. :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I would consider 300 dome indirect as medium.
  • eyekwah
    Options
    Will do. I will post a few pictures tomorrow as well.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I agree with the 300deg in this case, particularly if direct. That CI will get hot easily.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    first part of your cook is direct, in a pan just as you'd do it on a burner. you could cover and keep over medium heat direct also, because the liquid won't allow thw rice to burn.

me? 400 direct on a raised grid.

dome open while you are doing all the browning of the veggies, etc, then dome shut while the rice is cooking.

it's basically the same exact procedure as a paella cook, even though it's a dutch oven.

you want direct heat at the very least while you are browning the veggies and chicken, and could always let the pot sit indirect for the rest of the cook.

but you don't have to
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Options
    Any temperature on a Medium Green Egg = medium heat ;)
  • eyekwah
    Options
    Well I made the Jambalaya and it turned out pretty good. There seems to me something missing with it though but I will use it as a base and maybe add some garlic to it next time around.. I cooked this at 375 direct. I was going to post some pictures but I don't have a place to upload them.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    What was missing was salt. 3 teaspoons for 3 cups of rice, 1.5 pounds of chicken and all that trinity seems mighty skimpy. I know we're all supposed to be sodium conscious, but that's really light.