Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomorrows cook

Crab leg
Crab leg Posts: 291
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing a whole pork loin tomorrow that will be cut into 3 pieces and all 3 will be seasoned differently. The setup will be direct on a raised grid at 300*. I can't remember how long this should take at this temp. I am thinking 2 1/2 to 3 hours, but just wanted to check with the board. I am going to take them to 145* and remove. I will be brining for the first time and have a question about this too. I was thinking about doing the typical 1 gal to 1 cup salt and 1 cup brown sugar, but I was going to use 1/2 gallon apple cider and 1/2 gallon water. Is this a mistake, or will it be allright? Also, how long to leave in the brine? Thanks for any input. I am cooking for my friend that introduced me to the egg 6 years ago, and he has not has any egged food since. (His neighbor had an egg and he moved away) I gotta get this right!!
Seth

Comments

• Luder
    Luder Posts: 31
    Crab Leg,[p]Pork loin cooked at 300 to 350 shouldn't take but about an hour to reach an internal temp of 145. Never brined onne before so I can't help you there. I just usually use some rub, such as Dizzy Pig or I just marinate in Italian dressing. Good luck.[p]Luder
  • LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Crab Leg,
    I'm with Luder 1-1.5 hours. I do these often but never brined one. I wrap mine in bacon to help it from drying out. Watch your temp closely, pull off around 145 and I wrap mine in foil and let sit for a hour before serving.
    Good luck.
    LOG/Jeff

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    LoinPlatedKiller.jpg
    <p />Crab Leg,
    The brine sounds good, and I have used apple cider with success. You did not say how big your pork loin was?[p]Check the link below for how I like to cook em. The one in the story was cut in half, and took about an hour I think, at 300 direct. I think 6 or 8 hours in the brine should be enough, assuming you cut the loin into pieces first. Rinse it good, and go easy on the salt in the rub.[p]Hope that helps a bit. Loins are some good eatin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    Crab Leg, i cut one up last week, the first i coated with sweet baby rays towards the end of the cook, came out good. the second i made some of JJ's Rub, this one was better. tonight will be that marmalade rollup with the nuts that was posted earlier.ive been doing them at 350 for less than an hour and pulling at 140. i think they would be better pulled a little earlier and rested til they reach low 140's as the color was not that light pink im looking for. they were however mouth watering moist

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Crab Leg,[p]All just opinions here so take it for what its worth. I've brined a lot of loins and they all come out pretty well.[p]Pork really takes up the salt in the brine. I typically use a 1-1 relationship in my brines, as a general rule, but in pork I cut the salt in half, especially if you use the vinegar (I'll touch on that later). My experience is that a little salt goes a long way with pork.[p]I would be real careful about using that much vinegar in the brine as it may actually start to cure the meat or pickle it. You can use a little bit but do it sparingly. Never tried vinegar in the brine but can see problems with it. I would brine the meat about 8-10 hours, or overnight would be fine. Be sure to rinse it well when you take it out of the brine. If you use that much vinegar I would cut your brine times way way back.[p]They should cook in about 90 minutes depending on how thick the meat is. Those are good temps, I typically do about 325-350 but 300 will get you there, just a bit slower, keep turning the loins on the grill to ensure not burning one side. I turn mine 4-5 times during the cook.[p]As I said, just my two pennies. This advice and fifty cents may get you a cup of coffee so take it for what its worth. Good luck, let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.[p]Troy[p]
  • sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]I'm real interested in the vinegar brine. I REALLY thought that would tend to pickle the meat or give it a mushy texture after the cook. Sounds like it may not be true. Want to share your experience a bit, inquiring minds want to know. Thanks Chris.[p]Troy
  • Crab leg
    Nature Boy,
    What link below?
    Seth

• Luder
    Luder Posts: 31
    Crab Leg,[p]I think he meant this link.[p]Luder
  • Nature Boy
    Luder,
    Thanks. Dats it! I must have reversed the URL with the title.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    I am under the impression he is using apple cider....not vinegar.
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Crab leg
    sprinter,
    I meant apple cider, not apple cider vinegar. I thought the cider would add some flavor, but are you suggesting that it will get sour on me? Thanks for the salt suggestion. I will cut it for sure. I thought my cook time was a bit long, and all of you have confirmed that, so thanks. I used to cook these all the time, but just have a brain cramp on cook time.
    Seth

• Nature Boy
    Crab leg,
    I think Troy just misread. The apple cider adds a nice sweet flavor, and I have not notced a sourness. For a real interesting subtle twist, add a cinnamon stick too!
    Have fun
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]Yep, if I could read I could have saved a WHOLE BUNCH of bandwidth. Sorry about that. Apple CIDER would be great and would add a nice sweetness to the brine. Go for it, I think you'll be happy with THOSE results. Just FYI, I would stay away from the vinegar. hehehe[p]Good luck.[p]Troy
  • Crab leg
    sprinter,
    Thanks everybody for your input. Gonna be some killer grub. Can't wait.
    Seth

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Crab Leg, I've been doing more flavor brining than traditional brining in the last couple of years. I like to add apple cider or slices of fruit to the brine. Never done a loin but thick pork chops come out very good. Bear in mind that brined foods do cook faster. And hey, let us know how those loins come out!

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery