Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shop Vac for Cleaning

Options
Jai-Bo
Jai-Bo Posts: 584
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen a few posts where folks use shop vacs fer cleaning their Egg. I bought a little 2.5 gal wet/dry vac and decided to give her a try. It fits nicely under my table out of the way, and when I hooked it up to start....MAN.....When I tried to suck the ashes out of the bottom----a bunch of dust blew out the exhaust port!
My ???'s to ya'll that use 1:
Is there a different filter I need to use? It has a paper filter, you think doubling it up w/ a sponge type would work better? Or possibly putting a small amount of vinegar/water in the bottom to collect the dust better???

Thanks fer the replies.... ;)
Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!

Comments

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hi J.B.
    Not sure which model you are using ( I use Craftsmen) but a litle dust is normal, not a crazy lot though. I would suggest an inch or two of water in the bottom. Let us know how that works.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You need a Hepa filter.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    That happens to me too. It works very well with cool ashes. Just be careful with hot ashes.....ask Bubba Tim
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I only use the shop vac for a total clean out when I remove the fire box/bowl and all, but I scrape out the ash I can first. My shop vac has a bag and a filter and I never get a ton of dust flying out of the port.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Gene,

Hepa filters are made for drywall dust, ash and any other tiny particles. Pretty well eliminates the blow-by.

Oh, and you can hose them off to clean. Just be sure it is 100% dry before you put it back in the vac.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    cool, thx. I think I am just using a plain old Craftsman filter
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Grillin & Chillin wrote:
    Hi J.B.
    Not sure which model you are using ( I use Craftsmen) but a litle dust is normal, not a crazy lot though. I would suggest an inch or two of water in the bottom. Let us know how that works.

I got a Husky 2.5 gal. I figure water would work since that's the way rainbow vacs work....I got it and use it around the pool/patio too, so it's not just fer the grill. It also helps exterminate spiders in my enclosure....suck em along w/ their webs right up!!! I got a screened enclosure but them dern spiders multiply like crazy!!! I've sprayed and sprayed! :blink:

Crimsongator....wouldn't think bout sucking up hot ash :lol::lol::lol:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    you might have a hole in the filter...i'd try getting a new one and see how that works...dust should not be blowing out of the exhaust port....rr
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Mine will do that unless I use the round sheet of cloth/paper material over the sponge (held on with the plastic ring that slides over it). It isn't HEPA, but works well. Clogs up fast but you can hose it off and dry it.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Filters plug up quickly.

Get some bags for your model shop-vac and you'll have no more problems. When the bag fills up, toss it in the garbage and put in a new bag.

I never get any dust out of the exhaust port on mine.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I have an inexpensive Ridgid; works just fine with no exhaust dust (it is bagless, too). I found some car-detailing attachments to fit on the end of the hose, so now I can fit the thing inside the vent of my mini. Very handy...