Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What\'s your favorite fish?

Options
2»

Comments

• Isolated01
    Isolated01 Posts: 157
    Options
    The illusive fish that hides in the pantyhose that I can't seem to find!
    White king salmon is awesome....
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
  • El Jefe
    El Jefe Posts: 96
    Options
    obieLArecordgrouper-vi.jpg

No, I love them as well.
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    I'm with you Mickey on the Grouper, especially with P.P. Blackened Redfish Magic, 2nd choice is Orange Roughy
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Nice pic's from boat to plate! Like the Margarita too!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Options
    I second the White King Salmon, it is very hard to find outside of Alaska but whenever I am up there I try and bring some back!!!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    yellow perch are all ive ever called them, they make a great fish fry

100_1747.jpg

100_1755.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Fishlessman....what on Earth did you pour on those poor perch? Oh my. I do love me some tartar sauce though. I'll be in Canada (Southern Ontario) in about a week and that is one of my stops. Likely twice. Heading to Port Burwell on Lake Erie for some perch and chips. Well poutine to be precise. I can't wait. Top that with some Canadian Lager and I'll be in heaven.

Yeah the only other thing I've called yellow perch is Perca flavescens (scientific name). They are mainly a northern species. Some places down in NC have them, but they are tiny from what I've heard and likely not edible. So mainly Canada and the northern US states. They are very sweet and very tasty. Much better than catfish, walleye, pike, bass or any other freshwater fish IMO. We catch them in the summer and winter most often. Last time I caught them it was ice fishing on Lake Simcoe.

El Jefe...Is that Pirates Cove in Manteo NC? I've been there before. A friend of mine has a boat docked there. IT's a nice place. His friend has a condo or whatever those things are at that place. It's very nice and very $$. Nothing I could afford. LOL. Anyways. I love going out from there to the gulf stream. Nice catch BTW. I've never caught anything that big. We've seen a few marlin and tuna, but never landed anything big.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    never liked the tartar sauce, was having a difficult time finding malt vinegar so ketchup it is with a little horseradish mixed in:laugh: i only fish perch thru the ice, whites and yellows, the yellow perch are the sweet ones where the whites have the better fillet size to make the pile big
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yellow perch is one of the best FW fish to eat. Too bad it's usually (for me) to catch enough large ones. Doesn't look like you have that problem ;)
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    never liked the tartar sauce, was having a difficult time finding malt vinegar so ketchup it is with a little horseradish mixed in:laugh: i only fish perch thru the ice, whites and yellows, the yellow perch are the sweet ones where the whites have the better fillet size to make the pile big

Nice. I used to use ketchup on fish as a kid. My kids use it too, although they do like tartar as well. Why no malt? Where are you located. I get it here in NC without issue and it's not like people here actually put things on their french fries other than ketchup. Malt vinegar is one of the very best things to put on fries too, unless you have gravy, which is even better. Has to be fresh cut though. Yum.

Ice fishing for perch is the best. Last time we were out we got stopped by the MNR as we had a few cases of Canadian/Blue with us. You're not allowed to drink on the ice for some reason. Anyways he was cool and let it slide. He went to the same Natural Resources School that me and my friends were attending. That's a fun day, especially when the bite is good. Love me some trout fishing through the ice. Lakers and brooks. That's a tasty meal too as a shore lunch. When you are cold from the -20 C and sitting on the windy ice all day, then cook a fish in a cast iron skillet on an open fire with S&P, nothing tastes finer.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Angler fish are pretty neat. I'd suspect not very good for eating though:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Funny because it's true :)