Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

Options
cmccoy
cmccoy Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to try my first Pork Butt this weekend. I could use some instructions / recipe. THANKS

Comments

• Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Options
    I'm doing one as well. Hopefully 2. This will be my second butt that I have done. I did one a few weeks ago and it turned out great. There is a thread on here about it as I was asking questions all day long.
    I had a 6 lb. butt that I put a rub on and let sit overnight in the fridge. I put it in the egg with the platesetter legs up, the grill on that, and set the butt in a v-rack.
    I had it on for about 8 hours but I recommend planning on 10 to 12. I had to keep bumping up the temperature of the egg to get an internal temp of 200 in the butt. It worked out well but this time I'm going for 2 butts at 12 hours at 250 or so. Maybe a little less temp. I have to read through the forum a bit to figure that out. Getting up a little early, 4am, will be worth the effort in saved stress trying to make sure it gets done on time.

Question I have is this. How do you get 2, 6 to 8 lb. butts in a large egg? Can it be done?

Good luck
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    Build fire for low and slow ( fill firebox with lump starting with larger pieces first then smaller chunks. sprinkle your smoke wood around. I prefere hickory chunks and apple wood don't soak them start your fire in one spot (center)install your platesetter and drip pan in the meantime prepare the butt by coating it with yellow mustard then your favorite rub, once the egg temp is stabilized at around 250 degree put but on meat fatside down, put yor probe in and figure about 1.5 to 2hrs per pound or your internal temp to reach 195 degrees once that happens remove butt and let rest for 10 or 20 minutes and pull.
    Firewalker
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Two 6-8 pound butts in a large? Just put them on the grill. There's plenty of room. You can do at least 3 on a single level. Here's four on a grid extender:

30pounds.jpg
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    If you go to the recipes page on my website and then go to the pork section, you will find Elder Ward's technique and a second page about my first butt cook. Hope that helps you! Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Thanks for your site. I have learned a great deal reading it. Very informative.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Welcome to the forum.

I was reading the new posts this morning and noticed below on this page alone there are 5 or 6 posts about pulled pork. Not sure if you took the time to read any of those posts.

There are recipes in the recipe section. As above TNW has Elder Ward's Method.

Thirdeye also has a great write up ~ Pulled Pork, Shoulders (Butt and Picnic) ~ which details the difference between some of the pork cuts and recipes.

You will also find some good information and links on this page FAQ's, Tips & Useful Links

Looking forward to see how your cook turns out. Pulled pork is a very easy and rewarding cook.

GG
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Thanks!
    The Naked Whiz
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    I too enjoy your site. Very informative. I have learned a lot. Thanks.
  • cmccoy
    Options
  • Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Options
    The Whiz posted to my response!!!
    That may be the closest that I've been touched by greatness!!!!
    I ordered another shoulder to put on for tomorrow! Thanks Much!
  • cmccoy
    Options