Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help - DFMT is Stuck!!!

Options
Golasso
Golasso Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not very wisely, I have not been cleaning the metal top to my egg regularly. For a while, the egg had to get up to around 300 for me to be able to open the daisy wheel. Now, however, I cannot no longer turn the wheel, nor can I slide the wheel out. I tried doing a high heat cleaning, but it didn't work. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    Tap it with a hammer. Please note I didn't say "smack it" with a hammer. And stop cleaning it, the grease makes it slide much like all of the cholesterol in my system. Good luck
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Is it stuck on the egg, or are the "parts" frozen?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Golasso
    Options
    It isn't stuck on the egg, the parts that are supposed to move do not move...
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    Golasso wrote:
    Now, however, I cannot no longer turn the wheel, nor can I slide the wheel out. I tried doing a high heat cleaning, but it didn't work. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

Remove it from top of egg and tap it gently like ashman said. Just tap the small part first, then the whole sliding piece. I use my ash tool to do it, but anything should work..
    This will happen from time to time. In fact it helps seal everything off and it not sliding and moving can be good during cooks if you are basting or something and opening the dome a lot. However, position of daisy can also help it not slide during opening and closing as well.
  • Chubby
    Options
    ok...if it absolutely wont move...take a screwdriver and just take it apart!

there's a screw on the spinner, and another on the slider.

then you can clean it with some Dawn power disolve or simple green type stuff. a steel wool scrub or a brass wire brush will help.

Once clean...season it like a cast iron skillet!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Golasso
    Options
    Chubby wrote:
    ok...if it absolutely wont move...take a screwdriver and just take it apart!

there's a screw on the spinner, and another on the slider.

then you can clean it with some Dawn power disolve or simple green type stuff. a steel wool scrub or a brass wire brush will help.

Once clean...season it like a cast iron skillet!

I'm an idiot -- it never occured to me to unscrew it, even though I checked to make sure the screws weren't damaged last night. :blush: Thanks.
  • Chubby
    Options
    Idiot...?

Welcome to the Club!!

Please, in the future...Don't be so hard on yourself...as it makes it much less fun for the rest of us call you names and snicker behind your back!!

:woohoo:

Have a good one!!

Evans
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Smack it with a hammer. You're not going to hurt it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Caution Golasso, cast iron will break. I would go with 'lightly tap'.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I am with the above posts - tap it with the ash tool will usually free the slider and pedals. Then I put a few drops of cooking oil (same oil I use to start the lump) on the moving parts.

One of my DFMT's were in a egg which was moist and was nothing but rust. I lit the egg and when the was up to 350° I put the very rusted & stuck DFMT down on the lump for 20 or so minutes. Pulled it off and put then brushed it with a wire brush. Then I put a light coat of oil on the entire DFMT put it the egg on the lump for a short while, pulled and oiled again and again onto the lump and pulled it again and onto the grid with one more light coat of oil. Looked just like new. This is the same process I use to season a Dutch Oven or CI Skillet.

GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I said smack it, not haul off and whack it! :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:laugh: then I agree.

GG
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Get a big bucket. Put a couple of cups of Amonia in the bucket, a little water and the top. In a few hours takeit out and rinse it with a hose. Do this outside.