Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boston butt

Options
taterhead
taterhead Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to smoke a pork butt. At what temperature, about how long, & most important do I brine or not. thank you. ;)

Comments

• Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    Options
    That big ol' search box in the upper left corner will be a tremendous help in your quest.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    250 indirect, 14 to 16 hours plus or minus for a 7 to 8 pounder, just a rub and on it goes, no brine. as simple as it gets. for a good writeup look in the recipe section for elderward, its a four part writeup that covers everything from firebuilding to rubs and sauces to side dishes. put a note in the cook section for 250 dome temp, its the only thing i would change
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You can figure about 2 hrs/lb at 250* on an indirect set-up. I would cook it to about 200* internal in order to pull it.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Agree with Fishlessman's suggestion to use the Elder Ward recipe to guide your first cook. There is a link to all of the parts together on the Naked Whiz's site at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm

I did this method for my 1st pulled pork cook, and it came out great. I now cook mine at 250 dome... I think the EW recipe called for cooking lower.

In terms of timing, remember that a shoulder will take approximately 2 hrs/lb to cook. You'll need to add about 1 hour for the Egg to light and the temp to stabilize, and at least 1/2 hour on the back end for the meat to rest before pulling. I generally leave 2 hours at the back end to give myself some wiggle room in case the cook takes longer than average. If it finishes early, you can wrap it in foil and towels and put in a cooler for up to 4 hours and it will stay hot. That also frees your Egg up to cook other things before dinner is served.

Good luck!

-John