Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

13 pound brisket just went on the Large...

jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Joined Sam's Club a couple weeks ago. First chance to buy a whole (packer?) brisket. I've read Third Eye's brisket page about a half dozen times in the last couple days. Friends are coming down from KC for dinner tonight. Plan on splitting the point off after about 7 hours and making burnt ends, plus the sliced brisket.

Comments

• NCSU-Q
    NCSU-Q Posts: 104
    I did a packer for the first time last weekend.
    Dead Simple!! Rubbed it with Dizzy Pig - Cow Lick about 24 hours ahead of time. BGE @ 230 (indirect), couple chunks of hickory; put it on, and let it sit until it hit 190 internal. (ramped up the pit temp to 275 toward the end as it was getting close to dinner time). Pulled it, rested it for 30 minutes, sliced and served.

It turned out GREAT! Much better than the flats that I had tried previously, and on those I used mustard in addition to the rub, pulled it off at 160-ish, wrapped in foil with beef broth then put it back on, etc. The flats were much more work and not nearly as good.... not even close!!

This was as easy as a Butt cook, and the end product did not even need sauce.

Doing another this weekend with a coffee based rub.
  • jeffinsgf
    Did you remove the point? If not, how did you slice it?
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Did you read his burnt ends discussion at

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/07/beef-burnt-ends.html

I have followed his instructions and had great burnt ends. The article says to remove the point when the brisket is done which should be about 19 hours into the cook, not 7 hours.

Good luck with your brisket. I have one in the freezer waiting for my daughter to come for a visit.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • jeffinsgf
    I did read that, but did you hit an extra digit? 19 hours? Really? In the brisket article he says 6-8 hours is 2/3 of the way through the cook. That looks like 9 to 12 to me, not 19. I do see that the split is when it is done. I thought it was before.

If this thing is going to take 19 hours to cook, I'm screwed. :huh:
  • NCSU-Q
    Due to time constraints, I left the point attached and sliced so that I was across the grain of the flat (with the grain of the point). The point was tender enough that it was not a problem.

This weekend, I plan to get it on the BGE earlier, remove the point when the flat hits 190, and put the point back on for burnt ends.
  • NCSU-Q
    As for time, I was cooking a 10# packer, I put it on the BGE at about 10:30 AM with the cooker stabilized at 230. At about 4:30 (6 hours), I ramped it up to 250, and at 5:30 (7 hours), I ramped it up to 275. The meat hit 190 at about 6:15 (+/- 8 hours total).

I am guessing that at 230 it probably would have taken another hour or two.

This weekend, I will do it about the same size & try to get it on there at about 8am. Maybe run the pit (measured at grid level, not dome) at about 235 to make sure that I have time to separate the point and the flat, and make my burnt ends.
  • jeffinsgf
    Thanks.

Mine went on at 5am. Now, at 2pm, it's 185 in the flat. Sounds about right. I've got the temp between 275 and 300.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I (and many others) have found that it takes between 1 and 1.5 hours/pound at a grate temperature of about 225 degrees. You can cook it faster by using a higher temperature or by pulling it early,wrapping it in foil with some beef broth and putting it back on the grill. This steams the brisket and softens the bark. I prefer doing it without foil.

Each brisket is different and they will stay in the plateau for variable amounts of time.

My last brisket was 17 pounds and took 24 hours plus a few more for the burnt ends. It was well worth the wait.

I hope yours finishes on the early side.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • jeffinsgf
    Yeah, I can see that at a consistent 225, it could take a while. I wouldn't have that much patience on my best day. I've ramped according to Third Eye's guidelines.