Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chipotle Chilis - Update

Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I posted the beginning of my first attempt to make Chipotle Chilis.
(Shortcut to original post: Making Chipotles )

Todd (Big'un) suggested splitting to increase the smoke absorption, so last night I split 5 of the 25 to test the effect.

This is after 12 hours - dome temp at 175-180*, steady:
DSC_0093_2.jpg
This is at the completion, this am, of 12 hours of low temp smoking with pecan chunks. Transferred to a dehydrator.
DSC_0097_2.jpg
The split ones look done. Very leathery and dry. Will cool for a while, then place in a ziplock bag until others are done.
DSC_0101.jpg
These are the ones still on the dehydrator. I think they need a little more time, but am not sure (maybe more black color to them??).
DSC_0103.jpg
DSC_0104.jpg
Help! Open to opinions are to how to know when these are ready?
At this point, I'm planning to continue dehydrating overnight and rechecking in the am. BTW, they add a nice smoky smell to the room. :ohmy: :woohoo:
More to come......

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Whatta you wanna use em for? Powder(ground) or chipoltes in adobo?I think the end use would determine the level of dryness you are after.JMHO. :unsure:
  • Misippi Egger
    Good point. I think I will grind some for powder, same some whole ones for adding to soups, chilis, gumbo, or whatever. Little Chef did suggest making some adobe sauce and I guess the less dry ones would work for that.
  • Hoss
    That's what I would think.Chipoltes are just smoked japs in adobo.I would dry them if I wanted chipolte powder.I'm quite sure there are others that know WAY more than me about it.Anyways,they look GREAT! ;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I think go with what the overnight dry and add them to the adobe sauce. The dark ones, powder them up. The wet ones (after added to the adobe sauce) you have so many options.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    You still could go in and make a cut in each one to allow some more of the moisture out. Kitchen shears, snip from the tip up an inch.
  • Hoss
    Funny how GREAT MINDS think alike! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B)
  • cookn biker
    ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    good point.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    And forgot to mention, should be like leather, such as the ones pulled earlier.

Thanks Molly :)
  • Misippi Egger
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Hoss
    KOOL-AID! ;) :laugh: BTW,I'm just a Prince.R Fl is da KING! :)
  • Misippi Egger
    True dat! Prince "Charming"? NOT ! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Hoss
    :P Who let DEM DOGS OUT??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;)
  • Misippi Egger
    NOT GOING THERE ! :sick::whistle:
  • Hoss
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;)
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Now I know why my family tells me their eyes were burning all day yesterday :laugh: :laugh: Being downwind from you is always great :ermm:

Looks like fun!!!
    Kent Madison MS
  • Misippi Egger
    THe dehydrator is on a table off the kitchen - nice hint of smoke in the air, but I wonder if that's why my sinuses stopped up and gave me a headache last night. Hmmm...

I don't think they are dry enough this morning, so I will leave on till this afternoon.

Ricks' Tropical Delight has a 2007 post where he smoked for 4.5 hrs and then dehydrated for 48 hours.....

How did the brisket turn out?