Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strike Three!

2»

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    How WELL I know! Met him in HOTLANTA,'08!/'09!!! :whistle:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Where are you? I'll buy it from you.
  • Whatchu2talkinbout? :)

BTW - My version of a "kilt lifter" is a little different than what you would find on the web

I think mine would be the Highlands version

1 part Drambuie
    1 part Scotch - save the 18+ year single malt and use the cheaper stuff
    dash of lime juice
    Crushed ice

B)B)B)
  • Hoss
    I agree,18+ needs nothing but sipping! ;)
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    And a cigar...
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I didnt read all the other responses but Im sure they say gaskets dont really matter.
    But dude, microwave? Every household has a good cast iron skillet for just such occassions. Worse case use whatever pan you have, rather than the nuker!!
    Anyway, hope you stick with it. Welcome aboard!
  • Hoss
  • Bearacuda
    Bearacuda Posts: 3
    You are probably right that I'm a bad cook.

I'm not looking to be the best cook in Huron, SD, or even Bonner Springs, KS for that matter.

I just want to cook something enjoyable for my family in my backyard.

The fact that I have burned up a gasket (or melted the seal) on the Big Green Egg is clear enough evidence that I don't belong at grill. Folks that know how to cook and "egg" simply don't do that.

But I have.

And in the process, I created an inedible meal.

I think I've created some pretty tasty things on the egg, and my wife always expresses her enjoyment of it.

But perhaps she fakes her enjoyment in that as well.

Maybe I'm not just a bad cook...
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Bearacuda, :lol: Don't be so hard on yourself. Although we might be able to help you in other areas you may want to try a different forum for that. :lol: :woohoo:

All kidding aside I joined this forum about two years ago and have tried to follow it closely and I'll tell you why. I have learned how to use my egg as well as how to cook. All these folks here give advice and sympathise and empathize freely.

Look you already did the first right thing by joining this great forum. Now do yourself a favor and follow this forum on a daily basis and see what you come away with in a years time.

Again welcome to this free forum. This is the place to get free tips on how to use your egg and free recipes on how to cook meals. If you stay close you may run up on some great rub/marinade/sauce recipes.

Hell find an eggfest and go to it. You will find it a major learning experience.

Last and with no disrespect if you can't enjoy doing this with your family maybe you should consider....

:) Tim
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    This was a great reply...I like the subtle sarcasm in response to "maybe you're a bad cook".

It is obvious that you must be a bad cook. You flipped the steaks in a manner that it broke down the adhesive. :silly:

As others have suggested, I think the only thing you can do is check for gaps between your dome using a dollar bill.

If you do replace the gasket, perhaps next time you do a steak just drop the temp a little (shoot for 600 instead of 650).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    since when was the felt gasket and 3m adhesive tested and declared safe for use around food, i dont think a study was ever declared on it, neither was one done for coltronics, rutland etc. if i ever put a gasket on an egg it would be the rutland, after it gets gunked up there isnt any fibers floating aroun, it doesnt melt and gas off like the felt/glue gasket your using etc. its probably the safer of the bunch but rutland doesnt want to fool around with frivolous law suits down the road so they say dont use it around food, its actually more dangerous on my coal stove door because it doesnt get gunked up and i open that often
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Since joining this forum I've seen many posts about the gasket. Well I never paid much attention to mine. It's been on there for 5 or 6 years or so. Same one. No big deal. Well I noticed that I have gaps and that my lid don't quite sit right. I tried to tighten and adjust a bit, but I only made it worse. So I put it back to how it was and how it's likely been for a while. Did some ribs low and slow and they tasted amazing.

Last night I did a tbone at 650-700. Turned out awesome. I really don't think the gaps matter much at all. Would it be ideal to have no gaps and a perfect seal? Surely. Will it still cook great with gaps. Yes. One of these days I'll probably buy one of the recommended gaskets and replace. More so to ensure a soft landing if my lip closes accidentally.

Anyways. Keep the EGG. It's a great piece of equipment. Steaks are simple. Not sure what the smell was all about. That's a bit nasty. Good luck. We all have bad days.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I've done plenty of long (15-20 hour) cooks with and without electronics running my Egg. I've also been able to do lower-temp smokes (150-180*) for extended periods without problem.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Frank thanks for clearing that up :ohmy: :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    I guess my point was you were blaming the gasket for your failed ribeyes and thus having to microwave them. A ribeye can be cooked over an open fire, so you could have fnished them off with the lid open. The gasket would make no difference to the cooking of a ribeye steak unless it made the dome stick in a way you could not open it once your food was on.

Point is the gasket isn't required to cook on the egg.
  • The XL doesn't need a gasket. Mine works fine without one!
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    do you apply this to both sides of the egg or just one?
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Bearacuda wrote:
    You are probably right that I'm a bad cook.

I'm not looking to be the best cook in Huron, SD, or even Bonner Springs, KS for that matter.

I just want to cook something enjoyable for my family in my backyard.

The fact that I have burned up a gasket (or melted the seal) on the Big Green Egg is clear enough evidence that I don't belong at grill. Folks that know how to cook and "egg" simply don't do that.

But I have.

And in the process, I created an inedible meal.

I think I've created some pretty tasty things on the egg, and my wife always expresses her enjoyment of it.

But perhaps she fakes her enjoyment in that as well.

Maybe I'm not just a bad cook...

don't get rid of your egg, you'll regret it.

don't be so hard on yourself.

the food i pull off my egg is awesome.

this past weekend, i had to cook on an electric grill at our condo and i didn't pull a single thing off the grill that i even considered good. my wife like the stuff, but she can't cook and is too kind.

i actually thought i was a good cook until that weekend and then i realized that it wasn't me that was a good cook, it was the egg that was a good cooker.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    The Rutland gasket usually adheres to the base on the egg. Tim
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

All the eggs will work without a gasket. If there was absolutely no need for a gasket BGE wouldn't put them on and surely wouldn't take all the gasket grief that has come up in the last long while. Nor would they have sent out all the Nomex Gaskets without charge.

My point in another post is what does BGE say about the need for a gasket and further would there be a warranty issue with an egg not using a gasket.

The gasket on my large is in pretty bad shape and I am beginning to notice a longer shut down and less lump being left after a cook.

Just say'n

GG