Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Burgers

Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well now I know why my Dizzy Pig brothers are always scarfing up the brisket trimmings at competitions to take home. I brought some home last weekend, ground it yesterday, and had the best burger ever tonight. Heaven on a bun with a little mayo, catsup, and a nice slice of Jersey tomato. My wife wanted seconds which is not a usual request. Granted it was trimmings from a prime, dry aged, brisket but I'll be making ground beef out of local brisket in the future. If it's half as good it will be better than store bought ground beef.

Chuck

Comments

• SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    I have been wanting to try brisket burgers.If I buy a whole packer should I trim the fat or grind the whole thing?Did you grind the meat once or twice?

Thanks
  • Chuck
    How much fat to leave would depend on the brisket. I left all the fat on the trimmings but would probably take a little of the thicker fat off if doing a whole brisket. If buying just flats I woud not trim anything. My guess by looking at it was that I had 20% fat no more and maybe a little less. I ground it once with the thicker of the two grinds on my kitchen aid. Had to press it together pretty good to hold shape but the final texture was perfect.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Del and I just bought a CAB brisket at Restaurant Depot to make burgers with this weekend. We've never done them with brisket before. Any tips for us? Also, where are you getting the prime, dry aged brisket? Would love to try that.
    Hope all is well.
  • Chuck
    Hi Anne!!!

WooDoggies gets the briskets for us from a butcher near him and we have bought them from Central Meats in Chesapeake VA. The coarse grind made the burgers a little wanting to fall apart so a little extra pressure when forming is good and flipping once lets the first side set up to hold it together. I just sesoned with salt and pepper but Red Eye Express will be on them next time. You might have to come visit to get the Jersey Tomato :-)

I hope all is well with you and Del and that our paths cross sometime soon.

Chuck
  • Chuck,

That sound delicious. We were just having a conversation this weekend about wether or not we could turn some already smoked brisket into jerky with our dehydrator. We've some some in the freezer from a BBQ a couple weeks ago. May just give it a whirl.

Joel