Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Table top

Eric
Eric Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm in the process of designing my table. I have a slate patio and have some salvaged slate that I think would look nice as a counter top. I am concerned w/ it cracking from the heat of the BGE or from hot items I might place on the slate. Does any one have experience w/ slate counter tops?

Comments

• Eric,
    I don't have any experience with slate counter tops, but every piece of slate I have used UNDER the Egg has cracked, once rather violently. I'd leave plenty of room around the egg if I were going to try that.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Eric,
    I used porcelain tile on mine. It’s harder than regular ceramic tile. I’ve never had a problem with it cracking.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 83
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks for the heads up.[p]The stuff I have was salvaged from an old roof here in New Orleans. It seems to have a lot of places where water could seep into the slate and I'm concerned about that water turning to steam from the heat and causing an "explosion".[p]Think I'll look for other materials.

• Eric,
    I used slate on mine. No problems. Salesman at shop were I got my slate said it would be fine under 1200 degrees.
    Good luck.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Eric,
    just remember to seal it slate is porous and all the grease and oil will stain it.

• Eric,[p]I like the idea of some kind of natural finish on the top of my table too, however, I am going to go with plywood and formica with a wood edge/trim. I am thinking of weight and having to lift the darn thing down off the terrace once in a while, and I like the idea of it not being so heavy, though I really would like to go with either a stone, or, with ceramic. <sigh> Darn ol'e compromises![p]Bonnie

• prev8.jpg
    <p />The Naked Whiz, consider using IPE instead of slate, IPE has a fire rating = to concrete![p]
    Ipe is really on the cutting edge when it comes to wood decking. It's virtually indestructible. Ipe comes from South America, looks and works like mahogany, and is comparable in price to clear-heart redwood. Plus, with a Class A fire rating, it was ideal around the fire pit and grill."[p]Partly because the wood is so hard and partly because it is so beautiful, Marlen couldn't bring himself to pound nails into it. He kept his hammer holstered and used stainless-steel screws and thin plastic biscuits to bring things together.[p]

[ul][li]MY IPE wood deck[/ul]
  • Ranny
    Ranny Posts: 18
    Eric,
    See my posts earlier about my table and using bluestone. The guy at Luck Stone told me this 1 1/2 bluestone would work , after I bought and broke some really expensive slate. This is still working after six weeks. But, make sure to include the extra thickness in calculations.[p]Ranny[p]090d568d.jpg

• Eric,
    I manage a stone and tile dist. center. The slate will work fine. Just seal it with exterior sealer for protection from food stains.