Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Safe to hot tub in cryovac?

Options
Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought 3 nice steaks from a specialty meat packer 4 days ago. They had just been vacuum packed that day. They've been refrigerated (but not frozen) since. Is it safe to hot tub them in the same packing or should I rinse them and put them in Ziploc before I hot tub them?

Comments

• Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    that cryo is a whole lot tougher than a ziploc bag
  • Deckhand
    Options
    I was worried about any bacteria that might have grown since the meat was packed.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If that has happened, toss the meat anyway. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    my only thought is the meat was probably sealed after a wet aging solution was inserted - you know that wet slimy crap that you have to rinse off after opening the package. If you hot tub first and then open and rinse thoroughly the meat is going to cool down. Personally I'd rinse, place in a new clean bag and then hot tub them.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Deckhand
    Options
    Thanks, I'll rinse them and put them in fresh bags.
    The butcher said they had been aged two weeks but didn't say wet or dry.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    those bacteria would be there when you put it in the ziploc bag anyway.

as long as the meat has been properly stored, there is no reason to worry

in fact, cryovac is a process invented to minimize any chance of bacteria growth. it's packed under vacuum in an inert environment...

alton brown lets his cryo go 8 weeks in the fridge. good temps? then no significant risk
  • Unknown
    Options
    Cryo is a proprietary process for vac-packing with inert gas. There is nothing injected as a brine.

Some packers inject and then vacuum pack, butthat is not the proprietary cryovac process

absolutely no issue hot tubbing in cryo
  • Unknown
    Options
    The couldn't have been dry aged if they were in cryo