Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pittsburg Style Steak

Options
joe@bge
joe@bge Posts: 394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was recently on vacation and we went to a steakhouse in SC for dinner. The chef was offering an option to have your steak prepared Pittsburg style which was totally new to me. The method he used was grilling your steak to your desired temp, but pulling it off the grill prior to reaching to final temp, then coating both sides with sugar and searing on a flat-iron skillet to char/carmelize the outside leaving it pinkin the middle. The steak was amazing. This was one of the first steaks that I have had at a restaurant that compare to the ones I make since getting the Egg. Needless to say, I just bought the half-moon cast iron griddle for my large and I am going to try this this weekend! Anyone else have any Pittsburg style recipes?

Joe

Comments

• Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
    that is exactly what I do....i get the Egg as hot as I can w/ the 1/2 moon on there and then go T-Rex style form there. While they rest, I just leave the griddle on there and get the egg down to 400 before using the non griddle side for the finish. I use raising the Steaks mixed with butter and coat them before they do on. The spices and butter make for a helluva char. good luck
  • glc203
    glc203 Posts: 45
    Options
    My understanding of Pittsburgh style is very seared/very rare. Apparently it comes from the steelworkers putting their steaks on the embers and slag to cook their lunch. The added sugar glaze is new to me.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    I googled it prior to posting and that is what I found as well. I'm sure the sugar carmelization process was added by the chef. All I know is the end result was damn good!
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Here is one KennyG cooked at one of the Toadfest at mr.toads house...It was good.

Larry

prev74.jpg
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I'm a Yinzer, born and raised 'Burgh, still living in the Pittsburgh area. It's "Pittsburgh Rare". Some would call it "blackened". Sugar coating is not the tradition. A fast hot char on a thick steak in an iron skillet or on coals is the way to go. And rare, rare, rare.
    PattyO