Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Salmon

Options
Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to smoke some salmon and I know the temp needs to be around 180* or less. The lowest I have ever gone on my large BGE is about 210*. How do I keep the temp down to the 160* - 180* mark? Also, how long does it take to smoke a salmon?[p]TIA for your ideas and input.[p]Bob

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Bob, here is a link to my post from last month. I start my fire dead center using a starter cube on top of the lump. I start shutting down the vents at 165° and let it creep to 175° or 180°. To hold the temp, the daisy wheel and lower vent are just barely cracked.

[ul][li]Salmon[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • trout16
    trout16 Posts: 60
    Options
    viewtopic.php?t=3
    <p />Bob,
    175 or 180 is the ideal temp, 4 hrs for moist , longer for dryer salmon. I have perfected smoke salmon just about lol! Here is a link that I am sure will help you, don't forget to brine! We're doing salmon jerky right now, I'll let y'all know how it turned out!

• trout16
    Options
    trout16,
    sorry I always mess these links up

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Do I understand that you do not cover the entire fillet with the salt/curing mix, just the 1/8th inch in the bottom of the glass pan to cover the flesh side? Why did I think you covered the entire fillet? Thanks for any help in clearing this up. Sounds darn good and I want to try it.
    Seth

• thirdeye
    Options
    Crab leg,
    That's right. Bear in mind that the skin is still on the side that is up (the flesh side is in contact with the layer of cure. (On skinless fillets I do put a layer on the top side as well and I turn them over once). On smaller fillets, 1 or 2 lbs., I will lay out a piece of clear plastic wrap & put a layer of cure on that and wrap one fillet up. What I like the most about this cure is that it liquifies on its own and will resemble a syrup when you rinse the fish the next day. I make the full batch and store the leftover in the freezer

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• trout16
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I know what you mean man, my freezer will be full this week. Yesterday when I started brining and curing, I had 2 whole sockeye fillets that were huge, 1 whole fillet of Norwegian salmon, and about 2 whole filets of farm raised bourbon salmon. I think I might have a problem lol! At least I'll have some lox, jerky, and smoked to eat though!
    I have to stock up on horseradish sauce, hell I need a pumping station lol!

• thirdeye
    Options
    trout16, I meant that I make the full batch of cure and store the leftover in the freezer...but I like your idea!!!

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Charles in SC
    Options
    I helped judge the Anything But at Laurens,SC last friday evening. We had a couple of different salmons. One of them had a very good glaze on it. I have had this before and would like to know how it is made. What would you use for a sweet giaze on salmon?
    Thanks in advance,
    Charles

• thirdeye
    Options
    Charles in SC, Try a basting sauce with 1T hoisin & 1/4 C honey. A light coating toward the end of the smoke shines up the salmon.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• trout16
    Options
    thirdeye,
    couldn't of said it better myself a little bit of honey goes a long way

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Charles in SC,
    Nature Boy with the Dizzy Pig used butter and maple syrup on salmon and it is out of this world. I was out of Maple syrup and used honey last time, but I prefer the Maple syrup better. Hope this helps.
    Seth