Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One Tired, Thrilled & Dizzy Pig Checkin' In...

BBQfan1
BBQfan1 Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wow. What an experience the American Royal was!
6 am and I just dropped BBBrown off at home after a 16 hr drive back to the Great White North, but couldn't resist a peak at the forum to see what y'all are saying. There's the good news/bad news of the 18th place finish (we didn't get the results while in KC, so this is the first I heard) and then the bad news of the other guys' break down in St Louis. Hope they got it fixed quick and got home in good time.
Bryan and I stayed in KC Saturday nite then made the trek to Arthur Bryant's Saturday morning. Got there at 10 like they'd said on the phone they'd be open at, but then told that they open at 11 when the Chiefs are on the road. Dang! We were going to just head home, but figured, 'what's another hour after 3 days of no sleep?' Glad we stayed; it was all it was claimed to be.
With the Royal, we spent the Invitational chasing some new ideas and alterations for the 'KC style of bbq' and I think it got us off our game plan a bit. On Saturday we were relaxed and confident and just did our thang. Chris and I always said that with our current schedule of 1 event per month it takes so long to put into effect the adjustments you know will improve your scores. While the back-to-back events this weekend made for one heck of lack of sleep, it did allow us to do a quick turnaround and refinement of our recipes and I guess that showed in the scores.
Man, I'm dog-tired, but I'm thrilled about the Saturday result (and Friday's too; that was some damn fine bbq too!).
I can't help but think back on the evening about 3 yrs ago when I was laying in bed tossing around ideas in my head for a bbq company, and the image of a pig on a rottisserie made me think 'that old Porky must be getting pretty dizzy up on there!' and that idea has become something that has lead to the rub company, the bbq team and a whole raft of new friendships and travels! Amazing how life delivers these wonderfully delicious little nuggets sometimes....
We met some great folks from this forum and the KC one as well and we'll be posting some pics and memories from this amazing adventure over the coming days. Til then, sleep.
"It's a great life if you don't weaken."[p]Qfan, feelin' a little weak, but happy as h-e-double hockey sticks

Comments

• BBQfan1,
    warmest congrats on your fine showing!!. . .sounds like you boys had a great time, and showed yourselves to be the classy eggers we all know that you are. . .[p]i talked to woodoggies yesterday afternoon. . sounded like they were having a tough time trying to find someone to fix that bearing on a sunday in the middle of missouri. . .hopefully they are back on the road today. . .[p]

• BBQfan1,
    That WAS some damn fine BBQ! Mike, Chris, Kenny, BBQ Brown and Woo did one Heck of a job out there among 475 teams in KS this weekend. #18 is phenominal!![p]Thanks for a great weekend guys!
    BBQ Bob

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    BBQfan1,
    It is cool to see(allbeit from cyber world) people that I have not even met before (but consider friends through the forum) doing so well at these huge competitions. This is a great comunity of people. Way to go Dizzy Pig Crew and DRBBQ too.
    Seth

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    BBQ Bob Trudnak,
    .....I'm still up spreading 'the news' among friends and family after getting my daughter off to school. I didn't want to get into naming names of the fine folks who added to the success and enjoyment of our weekend just for fear of forgetting someone. However, we are extremely grateful for the support and helping hands that you and Shotgun Fred brought to our camp. We all strongly feel that a friendly, supportive and enthusiastic site makes a difference in the final product and I think you'll agree that no one has any more 'serious fun' than the Dizzy Pig team. So for that, thanks go out to BBQ Bob Trudnak, Shotgun Fred, Car Wash Mike, PapaQ, Dave Spence (yeah! Dr. Chicken himself; we were extremely honored to finally meet him and his friend Dennis in person!), Brett Brown/The Virginian (a damn fine bbq'er in his own right but willing to do anything and everything to help us out at the Royal) and a whole cast of others who we met and whose name and face I will remember after I get some sleep! And I certainly can't forget to mention Ray Lampe/drbbq who's always been a strong supporter and mentor for our little Dizzy Pig cookin' club. Looking forward to meeting everyone again, hopefully as soon as the Jack!
    Qfan

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    BBQfan1,[p]Glad to hear you and Bryon made it home safely. It was great meeting you guys and watching you work your magic with the eggs. Rest up, make some plans and get ready for the Jack. Thanks again, for the lump.[p]Paul

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    BBQfan1,
    Thanks for letting me hang with you and drbbq. Was a great time. Got to try one of those ceegars.[p]CWM

• BBQfan1,
    I had a great time with you guys, looking forward to seeing you again at the Royal.
    Jim

• Jim Minion,
    It was great have the time to talk with you about que and other things, Jim. Thanks again, I will report on my team's brisket adventures as they develop next season. [p]And Congrats to my buddies at Dizzypig for a great first showing at the big show! [p]Brett