Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any Maytag Bleu Cheese experts here?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Heretofore I've been paying $19.99 a pound for Maytag brand which some say is a premium, domestic bleu cheese made over there in Iowa. Recently I found it at SAMS for only $12.74 a pound so I bought it. Last night was my first taste of the cheaper cheese and I swear it was not as good and had very little blue in it. The suggested sale date is November. Does Maytag sell different grades?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have no idea but I sure do like it! ;)
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I really have NO IDEA either.....But, I have heard many times over that Sam's / Wal-Mart do sell the lesser grades of the brand names.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    RRP - A 'Maytag' should be a 'Maytag'. Should all come from the same farm to be called Maytag. A habbit I have developed is looking through the packages to select the piece that has the most mold. There seems there can be significant differences throughout even a single wheel. Just my 2 cents.
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks for the pointer - I see I can buy it direct from them for like $15 a pound for 2# and like $13.50 if 4#. S & H is extra of course but it gives me a range when evaluated $12.74 vs. $19.99
  • Little Chef
    Options
    RRP: If you are as much a blue fan as we are, keep your eyes open for "Point Reyes Blue". It's made in California, and is one of the best blues I have tried. Can usually find at Whole Foods, Fresh Market, etc. Its a bit more expensive, but easily justified. :)
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    My current lineup...

1)Maytag.

2)Pt Reyes Blue...(this one from the Cowgirl Creamery)

3)Cabrales Blue... (Spanish, my current #1)

4)Gorgonzola, (Dolce) a sweeter version of it's namesake...("great with fruit")!!

Im no expert...but if consumption counts, I could be a Dr., and not know it!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Chubby,

Cabrales is Awesome!!! My wife's family is from Asturias which is a province in NW Spain where Cabrales was (or still is) originally made. Just fantastic - I get it whenever I can!! Nice to see others who appreciate it as much as me..

All the best!
  • Chubby
    Options
    Yes!!!

I'm gonna go there some day...get all cheesed up, and lay on the beach I think!

I saw a segment on Jose' Anderas's made in Spain not long ago on Asturias, apparently a great seafood culture too!

Thanks!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I had some of that (if memory serves) the last time I was in CA...Some time ago now (like almost ten years) and it was fantastic (if you like Blue Cheese)!
    It was one of a number of great things we had as appetizers along with a wonderful liver patie' (sp?), a verity of crackers, breads and ALL SORT of fresh fruits! Of course we had plenty of good CA wine to accompany this also.
    No wonder I miss seeing my cousin so much :whistle:
  • RRP
    Options
    Thank you again..it just so happens our first & ever Fresh Market opens in Peoria in less than a month. We are going to look there for sure!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Chubby...The "cheese section" in my fridge probably takes up about 20% of the fridge... :laugh: . Sounds like we have at least one similar interest. :) I don't think I've ever met a cheese I didn't like. :whistle:
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    Have you had La Peral? Apparently, it's also known as "Queso Azul Asturiano" and may be in my top-5 favorite cheese list. It's relatively hard to find, but man... is it good!

__Jason
  • Chubby
    Options
    At least one?

I'll bet we have even more, (though an overt association with me will probably not do your rep any good)!

Your story sounds framiliar!! Ann and I both...we're Baaaad Cheezers!I am afraid I have actually become...
    part cheese myself!

Evans
  • ChefBrian
    ChefBrian Posts: 172
    Options
    I love any Blue Vein Cheese, any cheese really. Try Shaft’s Bleu Vein Cheese if you can find it. It is local to me. They age it in an old mine shaft. It is one of the best I've had.