Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

used vs new

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking into buying a Green Egg for my husband for his 30th birthday. I found a used one (10 years old) that will save me $200 vs buying new. Is it worth the savings or should I buy new? Thanks for your input!

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    There are some good deals to be had occassionaly on used Eggs. $200 savings on a 10 year old unit isn't one of them, in my opinion. It should be more like $400-$500 for a unit that old.
    The biggest disadvantage of buying used is the lack of warranty, which WILL come into play at some point during the life of an Egg.
    Good Luck no matter what you decide.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Buying new will give you a lifetime warranty. Saving the $200 (especially for one that is 10 yrs old) is not worth it, IMHO. Buy new. If you can find a eggfest in your area you can buy a demo egg at a reduced price and still get the warranty. Good luck!
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    You beat me by 40 seconds. I guess I'm slow at typing :)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    A 10 year old egg is only worth $200. So no it is not a good idea. A new egg will come with a lifetime warranty which you may need.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    nm

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    Options
    10 years old and only saving 200? No thanks, i'd buy new. plus lifetime warrenty. IF you wait you can pick up a demo egg for 20% of listed price. Or sometimes you can just catch a good sale... Local dealer round my way had all eggs 15% off. picked up a small... good luck
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thank you all for your prompt response. Your discussion is very helpful- I think I will buy new. I appreciate it!
  • evenwhenitsraining
    Options
    BTW, there's no reason you can't ask a dealer for a break even if the Egg isn't on sale. Just make sure no one else is standing around so he won't feel pressured to extend the deal to anyone who might overhear.