Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip

Options
bigmikej
bigmikej Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having heard about this cut before on the forum, I have been eager to try it but have not seen it in Atlanta. Today, at Costco, I found two left. I grabbed the biggest one (2.5 lbs) and was wondering how to cook it. Direct v. indirect, high heat v. low heat, how long, marinade, rub??? Is this a cut that needs time to break down the collagen (ie brisket) or would it do better w/ a hot, fast cook. If it is like flank steak, I like to marinate and cook hot/fast. So basically, do I cook it like a steak or like a brisket? Or would it do better at a roast (350 or so). I like my steaks rare to med rare. Give me the ins and outs of this elusive cut eggers![p]Got (4) 7lb bonless butts waiting in the fridge that will go on tomorrow AM, that I am taking to the tailgate in Athens for the UGA/LSU game. Go Dawgs![p]Also, was in the BGE HQ on Wed. and noticed they had a new deal on BGE lump. Two 20lb bags for $25. BA also threw in a free BGE apron because I said I didn't have one (an apron) and because he is a super nice guy.[p]Thanks in advance for the help,
Mike

Comments

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    bigmikej,[p]I would roast it. Use indirect heat at about 325. Rub it with olive oil and coat it with black pepper and whatever else you like. Garlic, thyme, whatever floats your boat. Or you could use chile powder & cumin for a southwestern flavor. You could also marinate in a little red wine vinegar for 30 minutes before you begin. It's hard to go wrong. I also like mesquite smoke with beef.[p]Cook it until the thermometer reads about 130. Don't over cook it!
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    bigmikej,
    I do mine a little different than most.
    I rub mine with 3 different rubs.
    I slow cook mine at 250 till the center is 130 (rasied grid on plate setter)
    I remove from the Egg for 20 minutes. I get the Egg up to sear temps and then I sear it (without plate setter) to a nice finish. Let it rest for about 7 minutes, then slice away. I always do two tips for a family of 5 eaters. Some like it on hot rolls other like it just sliced on the plate.

• a stick
    a stick Posts: 69
    Options
    tach18k,[p]I gotta agree with you, the best tri-tips are lo-n-slo. If you like to cook 'em high, try lo-slo at least once.
  • bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    astick,
    about how long would a 2.5 lb tri tip have to cook at 250 degrees to get to say 120 internal?

• JeffHughes
    Options
    bigmikej,[p]I did a 2 lber last night. Rubbed w/montreal steak seasoning and cooked direct at 450 for about 15 minutes a side to 130* internal. Perfect medium rare+. This is my family's favorite steak...[p]I'll try the low and slow, but the way I did it is traditional Santa Maria style...[p]Jeff
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    Jeff Hughes,
    "Santa Maria" style - what's that? [p]Is it sort of like Christopher Columbus - set out with some basic notion and see what you find? [p]Hell, I do that a lot... LOL Joe

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    bigmikej,
    Well it depends where you start. 42 degrees or 54 degrees. To play it safe and to have a timely serve. Figure about 40-50 minutes from 42 degrees. I guessing as I never paid attention. But if you have things that need better timing you can always let it rest a little longer if needed. I wouldnt pull it before 125, unless you eat it very rare. 130 seems the best spot. Also this works well if you want to sear a tip thats has gone the lo and slo then cooled, then put in the refridgerator for the next day. Then its ready for the sear.