Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole pig, 65 pounds, in the egg

Options
2»

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I only judge KCBS sanctioned events.All entries are presented in a styrofoam clamshell box with the meat and garnish.There are rules we are required to follow when judging such.I do suspect that the above event could have been MUCH different.I do not know if they only sampled the meat or if the cooked hog was judged on presentation.If presentation were a factor I could see where a whole ,intact hog laid out with all the garnish would be more eye appealing.If it was judged solely on the taste of the meat it should not have mattered what the hog looked like when cooked.I do not have enough info on this cook to say.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hoss: thank you for your insights.
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Thats right, I could not remember the correct terminology while I was putting the post together and did not want to stop my train of thought to check.
  • irishrog
    Options
    The competition was judged on Texture, Taste, and succulence. There were no marks for the remainder of the pig, appearance of the pig etc., and indeed the pig which won was very undercooked, and they were lucky to get enough meat to present to the judges, who were obliged to judge on what was in front of them.
    This was the first time running this competition by a group of guys who were fund raising for their sports club. They learned a lot in a short space of time ( a very steep learning curve in thechnical talk) and next year will be a lot better.
  • irishrog
    Options
    No, to my taste it was perfect.
    All the meat was given away to the public who attended the event, once the judging was finished, and I could tell by the number of people who kept coming back to me for more eats that people really like my pork, and that was satisfaction enough for me.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    rog .that looks fantastic....must have been a lot of work removing the backbone and all. ..great job though!!!
  • irishrog
    Options
    Hi Max, the back bone came out relatively easily. I just used a sharp boning knife which I have had fo about 30 years, and worked my way along the bone, and it took me about 30/40 minutes in total.
    The back bone made a nice stock which I put in the drip pot, which I eventually made into a barbeque sauce.
    +
  • highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    Options
    Awesome pics, thanks for sharing! I've seen full pigs on an XL before, glad you can do it on a large! First place to a gas grilled pig?!!?!? :pinch: :pinch: :sick: :blink:
  • irishrog
    Options
    Some people just like plain roast prok, there is no accounting for taste. The feedback from the judges was that they did not like any of the pigs that were cooked with smoke, timber, etc. They preferred the pigs roasted in commercial spit roasting machines run on gas. Every body to their own.
  • ozegg
    ozegg Posts: 50
    Options
    that is awesome. I think I may try this sometime.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Roger, that is awesome. :) Thanks for posting. Are you going to do it in competition again?
  • Unknown
    Options
    That's a little weird - You would think that over-all presentation of what was cooked would matter. Silly if 2oz of an entire undercooked pig ended up winning. That's doesn't seem terribly representative of a real cook. Me thinks the rules need some changing.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    awesome cook. the judges probably had too much to drink.
  • MaiTaiMark
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!  The pig looks awesome!  I will be trying this on my large egg.  Great job! 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Now to find a pig...
    Dunedin, FL
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Great old post. Glad someone dug it up. Looks easy enough to actually try.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC