Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First KCBS competition - PeppermonkeyBBQ

Pepper Monkey BBQ
Pepper Monkey BBQ Posts: 652
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We competed in our first ever KCBS BBQ competition this weekend using our Large, our small, and a weber grill. The Holy Smoke Barbeque Competition was held in Easton, MD. It was their first time hosting a competition so we figured it would be a good time to learn the ropes and maybe get a competition under our belt before we went up against the big hitters.

Well ... PeppermonkeyBBQ (that's us) ended up setting up camp in the middle of DizzyPig, 3EYZ, and WoodChicksBBQ. So our original theory of entering a new competition with few big hitters was out the window. But we met our goal of getting all four categories turned in on time, and we didn't end up getting, "Dead Ass Last" as we discussed with the teams around us.

Special thanks to Chris and The Dizzy Pig crew for making us feel at home during our first competition. They shared some great food and booze with us and made it a fun weekend despite the heat index of 118 degrees!

Congrats to Dizzy Pig ... They took first in Chicken and Pork! And it was REALLY good ... thanks for sharing with us guys!

We are going to practice more and expect to continue competing with our eggs!!!

Joel

PPMBBQ1.jpg

Comments

• shubydoobydo
    shubydoobydo Posts: 115
    Looks like fun! Congrats I love your logo!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Awesome Joel!! Nice to have fellow teams helping and teaching!
    Just one picture.....really?.....you boyz kill me... :laugh: :whistle:;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Morning Joel:

Sounds like you had fun and did well...what more could you ask for (other than winning ;) :laugh: ). Definitely had some experts "next door" to help you.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Congrats on the competition. I'm sure it was educational as well as fun as hell. Lookin forward to seein you on Pitmasters one day. Sounds like it was quite a competition. :)
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Hey Joel.
    Congrats on pulling off your entire first comp under brutal conditions. You all stayed focused the whole time and got everything in on time with a minimal setup. We really enjoyed your company, and had fun hangin with you two. Meeting folks like yall is one of the best parts of competing.

Please look me up if you are in Northern VA.
    All the best
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • I know I know ... We took several but by the time we thought about having pictures of us taken together ... we had been awake for 24 hours with now shower or relief from the heat ... so the pictures most likely would not have been circulated anyway!!!! ... wait a minute ... those would be the best ones huh??? More next time, I promise!

Joel
  • Hey Jay ... 'did well' may be a bit of a stretch ... but we were wise enough to set realistic goals ... Make sure it's edible ... make sure it gets turned in on time, don't get last. Next one we'll shoot for 'did well!'

JM
  • Hey Chris,

Thanks again for your willingness to share and assist. Next time I'll make sure we come with a bottle or two of whiskey to share! Hoping to do at least one more this year, probably up in PA ... This time instead of focusing on just getting by ... we are going to cook up some kick ass food.

Hope we cross paths again soon.

Joel
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Hey Joel I commend you for entering and getting all the food in on time!! As you gain some experience the result will come.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Thanks Dale ... we knew a lot of people go and get 'mentored' first and just shadow a team for a while ... and some enter just only submit one or two food categories ... we figured we'd just go all in and start the learning. I think we have about 110 tips that we walked away with that we'll be incorporating into the next one. I can see where it becomes addicting though!

Joel
  • carlharper
    carlharper Posts: 28
    You were fortunate to set up on the right side of the tracks. That's a pretty high powered neighborhood you landed in and every one of your neighbors was a top notch competitor. You couldn't have done much better. Now you're hooked!

East Fallowfield PA

KCBS Master CBJ/CTC

Large and Small BGE

BBQ Guru Onyx Oven Smoker

Pit Barrel Cooker

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    It was great meeting you guys and getting a chance to hang out a bit. Congrats on your first competition!! You hit all of your goals and I have a feeling that your goals will get higher and you will hit them as well. I hope the Dizzy Pig and the Peppermonkey paths cross again sometime soon.

Chuck
  • When the organizer parked us next to the DizzyPig trailer ... we knew we should chalk it up as a learning experience ... and learning we did! It was a great experience and we are looking forward to the next!

JM
  • Hi Chuck,

Thanks for being suck a friendly neighbor ... We knew better than to go to another team and start asking questions but with you guys we didn't have to .. you just starting offering advice right away. Trust me, every tip you gave us will be applied to our next competition ... we'll cross paths soon I hope.

Thanks again to you and the entire crew.

Joel
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Congratulations for getting through your first comp in 100+ degree temps and turning in 4 meats on time.... what a feat!

Most folks don't understand all that's involved with cooking 4 categories and turning them in for judging every 30 minutes.... pretty intense and exhausting work.
    Nicely done and nice too that you avoided the dreaded DAL... somebody has to be DAL but it's always good when it's not you. :~)

One word of advice... those Dizzy Pig fellas look all sweet and helpful but watch your back....just sayin'....

john
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Good point...really watch out for the guy with the beard and the long hair.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Could not agree more.... listen to Chuck. His word is truth incarnate.

john
  • It was fun and a lot of learning occurred ... we didn't fall victim to any 'whiskey sabotage' ... so I think all was well ... even with Dizzy Pig as neighbors! I'd set up next to them any day.

JM