Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Whole pig, 65 pounds, in the egg

irishrogirishrog Posts: 375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last weekend I cooked a whole pig in the egg. The pig was 65# carcass weight before I removed the head and feet.
DSCF1802.jpg
First I removed all the back bone, from neck to tail. I left in the rib bones, but I did pull off the membrane from the ribs.
I then smeared the inside of the pig with english mustard, and stuffed him with apples, carrots, onions, parsnips and thyme.
DSCF1805.jpg
I then folded up the pig into a cube, with the loin on the bottom, and with the shoulders outside the hams.
DSCF1807.jpg
I prepared my egg by removing the upper lining of the egg, and lit my fire in the fire ring. I stabelised the egg at 250 and put in a chunk of hickory.
I then put the platesetter down into the egg, put a steel bowl of stock on the platesetter, and then put in the grid. I then put in my pig.
DSCF1808.jpg
I cooked the pig for a total of 16 hours at 250, spritzing every half hour after hour 14, when he had gone through the plateau.
pigs%2DSCF1810.jpg
0boats%20and%20things/DSCF1809.jpg
DSCF1813.jpg
DSCF1815.jpg
My pig was finally cooked after 16 hours, and after resting for an hour he tasted absolutely wonderful
DSCF1826.jpg
The judges in the competition felt the pig was over smoked and awarded the prize for the best roasted pig to an entry done on a gas roaster. I didn't care, I had proved to myself that I could get a 65 pounds pig into a regular large Big Green Egg, and cook him to perfection.
Here are a few photos of other pigs, which also did not win.
12 hours over a wood fire.
DSCF1830.jpg
6 hours on a home made side smoker ( 12 pound suckling pig)
DSCF1832.jpg
180 pound pig cooked over charcaol for 8 hours on an open pit. He used 14 bags of charcoal, I used 1 and had some left over.
DSCF1831.jpg
I did not bother to take a photo of a pig in a gas oven that just did not interest me.
Greetings from Ireland, Roger

Comments