Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New guy here!

Options
Sonoma Joe
Sonoma Joe Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a long time Weber-griller and have coveting the BGE for some time. After getting tacit approval from my wife, that being a slight nod and only minimal rolling of the eyes, I pulled the trigger on the large BGE.

I was up at 6:30 this morning assembling the Egg and can't wait to fire it up. I'm looking for suggestions on what to cook for my first go and tips for first time use.

I've enjoyed lurking on this forum for some time and am looking forward to joining in.

Comments

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Welcome! The folks on this forum are so helpful - you have found a second home :ohmy:

You can't go wrong with burgers or chicken. Stick aroud here and you will be amazed at the great stuff that you can cook on the egg.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Check the calibration on your thermometer and from there, the food choice is yours.

Make sure you get clean burning lump, let the heavy white smoke clear and cook what you like best.

Here is a quick beginning point on vent settings for different temperatures. Visual Guide to Vent Settings & Clear Smoke

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your 1st cook.

GG
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Welcome.
    Sonoma Joe? That mean you are in Sonoma, CA?

You can't go wrong with pork loin or chicken.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Welcome Joe :) Julie here in Maine :) you are going ot love it !!! spatchcock chicken is a good start very forgive if you have trouble with the temps and it is done direct so if you do not have any accessories yet no problem. there are some very good posts for beginners on here and lot of people to help that have been in the same place you are right now!
    load it up with lump and light. let it burn for about 20 minutes and look for the clean or clear smoke. set it to 350 :) then rub up the bird with what ever you like and lay bottom down cook for about 45 minute to an hour. we got for 160 in the breast. best chicken ever!
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. You can always do a spatchcock chicken. The method is on the naked whiz site. Sorry I don't have the link handy.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Grandpa doesn't like to blow his own horn so I will blow it for him. :woohoo:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=901811&catid=1
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Welcome to the "Cult". I find it funny how there are some of us who have to persuade our wives into getting an EGG, I am included as well.
    You are in for a treat. As for your first cook, I agree with some of the others, I would go with chicken, like a SPATCHCOCK chicken, or wings. You first few cooks you want to cook at low temperatures like 275 - 325 in order to for the gaskets to sealed well. The last thing you want to do is frying the gaskets on your first few cooks.

Enjoy the journey...
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Hey there new guy! This is definitely the place to be for idea's. I like many many on here did Butt Chickens for my first cook.

Good luck!
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Welcome Joe and be prepared for some outstanding food.Like the previous advice,make sure you have that nice clear smoke before cooking.Anice grilled fish dinner will always be a tasty first cook(and you can show the wife the health benefits of the Egg) and the need for a second!!

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Sonoma Joe
    Options
    Hi Rich,

My handle is actually a bit deceiving. I'm actually from Petaluma (Sonoma county) and my name's not Joe, it's Jerry. I just like the way it rolls off the tongue.

I went to college in SLO (Poly) so I'm quite familiar with your neck of the woods. I do enjoy visiting the Central Coast when I can.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    ..should be noted that it is a list of many contributions from many forum members over the years.

requiring many many horns to be blown, shall we say :laugh:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Welcome to our world Jerry. Post some pic's or it don't count ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    There are certainly a lot of contributors on the list and it would be nice to acknowledge them all if there was some way.

The only way I can think of is:

TOOT, TOOT, TOOT, TOOT, TOOT!!!!! :woohoo:
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Welcome and be prepared to take your cooking ability to a whole different level. As already mentioned, calibrate your thermometer in boiling water so there are no surprises. Second piee of advice, allow your lump to burn 1/2 hr minimum before placing food on to get rid of the VOCs. Stiff the exhaust coming out of the egg. If it smells acrid, wait a little more. If it smells like yummy BBQ, get cooking!!!
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Joe, Jerry, Sonoma, Petaluma, Novato, Santa Rosa, Sebastapol .... makes no difference. Just glad to see another Egger in CA. B)
  • MDR
    MDR Posts: 55
    Options
    I agree with the others. I have drooled over an egg for YEARS finally my husband bought me one for mothers day(got it June 5) I have tried several different things with the help of the wonderful people of this sight. Just ask and they respond with a wide range of answers & guidance. You can't get any better guidance. Enjoy your egg & welcome tothe cult & the wonderful people

Margie
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Jerry welcome to the forum. You will love eating the food off your egg.

Here is directions for spatchcock chicken go ahead and bake some potato's with it. Enjoy, Tim :P

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Make sure you perform the dollar bill test. Put a dollar bill in all the way around the egg and close. It should be hard to pull put using your thumb and little finger. You should feel the same tight resistance all the way around. If not, adjust your bands.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    For a first cook I'd recommend thighs, wings or spatchcock chicken.

The Egg is awesome. I have two of them myself. The first one got a slight roll of the eyes but not even a question on the second... Guess you are due to cook a few more meals than normal - but thats a good thing!!
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Welcome aboard,

The First Mate and I were just out there. we had a very nice lunch at this place.
    IMG_0511.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    st!ke wrote:
    ..should be noted that it is a list of many contributions from many forum members over the years.

Very clearly noted in the beginning paragraph of the post.

Best way to 'toot the horns' is to visit the sites, cook some of the recipes and post the results & pictures of the many wonderful recipes contributed by many forum members. As for the hardware part of the list, if you want some accessories then buy from the folks. As for some of the other references, USDA and such doesn't need any touting, they get taxes.

As for me, thanks Rich for referencing the links now and again. My contribution is the enjoyment of cooking, playing with the egg and a way to thank the forum folks for their help to me over the years.

And a continued thanks to you stike for the permission to use the photos for the oil/napkin lump starting method.

GG
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Welcome!! We love pictures!! Share and ask away!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    cook by temperature, not time. Time is only used as a rough estimate as to when to check meat temperature
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    no worries, mang..

just givin' rich grief, albeit minor and (supposed-to-be) comical.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

No problems on this end.

Other than the stuff I have done myself, I don't want anyone thinking any of the information is my doing other than providing a 'watering spot'. For that matter, there sure is a lot more information than what's in the post.

• pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, you will love your egg,wings or spatchcook chicken is a good starter. You have joined a cult (eggheads). Naked Whiz is a good site to read and get info.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Sonoma Joe
    Options
    Ahh, the Vineyard Inn in Kenwood. Great place and in such a beautiful area. I haven't been for a couple years, 'bout time to go again.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    "Grief" accepted and I'll raise you a pair of chickens. :P :woohoo: :P