Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker controled by iphone question

Options
Eggular
Eggular Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've finally got my 2nd router working as a bridge with my new stoker. I can access the ip address necessary to control the stoker on my computer and iphone as long as they are connected via my home network. When I turn my iphone wifi setting off and use the 3g signal to open my browswer, the ip address for the stoker doesn't load. How am I supposed to control the stoker from my phone when not at home? I think it's possible. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Thanks 2Fategghead for the email.

Eggular,

I have a Linksys Router. Just activate Port Forwarding on the IP address of your Stoker. You can find the IP address of your Stoker from Status/local network tab of your Linksys admin screen..

Keep in mind if you let people know the port forwarding address anyone can see the cook and potentially change the setting of your cook - not likely but could happen.

I can't put an attachment or a picture in the forum email but I will send you a picture if you will email me - kentja@comcast.net

GG
  • bcrawfo2
    bcrawfo2 Posts: 85
    Options
    You need two things:
    Port forward the http traffic from your phone while on the 3g (Internet). This is done in your router that connects to the internet.
    Then...you need way to find your router's Internet IP when you're out on the Internet. There are services called dynamic DNS (www.dyndns.com is one) that allow you register a DNS name like mystoker.homeip.net. That way if your ISP ever gives you a different Internet IP...you can find it by using the mystoker name.

Hope this helps.
    Scott
  • Eggular
    Eggular Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. i'll work on it tommorrow, too much wine this evening. I'm currently monitoring a 13 lb brisket from my phone......how sweet it is. Stokerlog is cool too. I'm glad I went with the Stoker.
  • Isolated01
    Isolated01 Posts: 157
    Options
    I had the same problem. spend the 30 bucks and get the logmein app. It allows you to remotely control your home computer from your iPhone. I had all kinds of problems trying to port forward and anyone who finds your URL address can control you stoker if you port forward.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    I justed looked at this app. I have the stoker in the mail as we speak, should be here tuesday. Can you give me more info on how the app works? Thanks. Just email to me if you don't mind.