Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I know the answer, BUT......I still need to throw

Options
Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made 15 pound of pickled shrimp from local South Carolina shrimp the other day.

After peeling the shrimp ( I DID say 15lbs), poaching them in my special poaching liquid, slicing up the onions and ginger....layering onions and shrimp in a gallon glass jar.....THEN adding the vineger to cover everthing.........I FORGOT TO PUT IN FRIDGE.....for more than t24 nours in 90 dgr heat!

Not worried about the cost of shrimp, but the labor that went into it. Seeing that the shrimp was cooked and then immediatly covered in an acid (vinager).....IS IT SAFE TO EAT????? I know it's a long shot, BUT maybe, just maybe.....it is fine because of the vinegar pickling it.

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I am going waaaaay out on a limb here but most things pickled, do not require refridgeration until after the jar is opened and sometimes not even then (turkey gizzards). I would do a little google searching before dumping the jar. I would personally eat them except am allergic to shell fish. :sick:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Feed a couple to your cat, or maybe your neighbor's cat, if it survives you should be good to go. :evil:

BTW, your tag line was first stated by one of our founding fathers, Ben Franklin I think, or maybe Jefferson. Barry Goldwater was fond of quoting it. The amendment says "enemies foreign and domestic". It is our safeguard against tyranny by our own government. B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Midnight Smoker: I know this is a long shot, but by ANY chance do you have a pH meter?? If by some miracle, test the pH of the liquid. Is there any additional acid in your 'special poaching liquid'? How much vinegar was added to how much liquid? Let me know, I'll watch for your post.
  • kmellecker
    kmellecker Posts: 332
    Options
    Thomas Jefferson
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I did some internet surfing and every recipe says to refridgerate. It also appears the shrimp will get mushy if left in the brine for very long.

Side note: I have had food poisoning twice in my life and both times thought I was going to die...really. Weird thing is other people around eating same food without anyone else getting ill. I have seen the survivor man eat an old fish carcass he found on the beach. :S
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Pig Feed...labor lost. Not worth the risk, my two cents, especially with any form of seafood.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    Silver lining, you have 15lb of delicious bait!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i dont know paul but you need to come around more often ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Shoot..shrimp aren't subtle. If they are bad, you'll know LONG before getting them in your mouth!