Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone Suckin' Sauce Opinion ?

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    kinda think that's going to be hard to do unless one person did them all. I mean what's sickening sweet to me might just be semi-sweet to you. Also salt content is a matter of personal taste etc etc. Maybe we can get TNW to expand his lump reviews to Lump and Sauce - your one stop reference!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I look at it as a division-of-labor thing. I can spend my time and money cranking out really good BBQ from my Egg, or I can spend it trying to make something as good as Blues Hog, Carnivore or Suck Creek. After (if) I retire, I might try my hand...until then, I'll rely on the experts :P

There's a reason Kobe Bryant doesn't mow his own lawn.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I think it's unfortunately that you have such a poor opinion of your cooking abilities (potential?). It's equally unfortunate that you have been convinced that the lay-person cannot make food that is as good, or dare I say, superior to something that comes in a jar that can sit on a shelf for years without requiring refrigeration.

You CAN make a BBQ sauce from scratch that is lovely and superior to Bone suckin sauce. Really, YOU CAN DO IT! Start with the one from the Joy of cooking, I personally really like it - and even zest it up with some adobe sauce - good stuff.

However, if you are time limited or lazy (like me most of the time), go for the jar.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I tried it. It was better. Still a little different. I will try it again before I toss it. Thanks for letting me know.
    cbf38932.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    The jar we just finished using was my first and I can say we love it.

Now speaking from the other side of my mouth we don't sauce much and mostly on the side. We got this quart jar of BSS as a Christmas gift. I sauce very seldom and when I went to use it we were very reluctant. I can say with all honestly that we love it now but, truth be told we also make our own that we also love.

Now you try to figure out what I just said. :silly:

I say you will love it! :P
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    I can tell you what it tastes like to me - vinegar based with a slight bite (the regular sauce) - reminds me of a sauce from many years ago that I can no longer find - Blue Plate BBQ Sauce. This sauce is thin, and I never have to add anything to it - unlike Sweet Baby Rays. Also, the sodium content is less than that of most and that is a plus at our house. I buy it at the Fresh Market and it's $5.99 a jar. Hope this is of some help... :)
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    thank you!
    any heavy spicing, like heavy black pepper, heavy garlic,

not that much different than wine tasting :silly:
  • Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    Options
    I have tried it and found it no better than Sweet Baby Rays and it was quite a bit more expensive,so I have not went back. I also have tried Blues Hog and found it way too sweet for me....but don't let me scare you away from trying something new...its just my opinion.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Straight from the label: tomato paste, apple cider vingegar, honey, molasses, mustard, horseradish, lemon juice, onions, garlic, peppers, natural hickory smoke flavor, natural spices, salt and xanthan gum (a thickener).

Personally, the sweets are very, very subtle. If the order of the ingredients is true to most labels the content is greatest with tomatoe paste and the least xanthum...I think they've nailed it with the mustard/horseradish. I don't specifically taste either, but that's just me.

If you can't find it, let me know and I'll send you some - we really like it at our house.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    In my opinion, most of the sauces discussed here are too sweet. For me.
  • Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    Options
    one of my favorite BBQ sauces. Got some of their hot sauce once and didn't know who it was called around and got their distributor by shear luck.. he was by my office (not really an hour away) and drove to my office... while he was there i bought a case of their hot sauce and a few bottles of their Hot Mustard sauce... Mustard sauce is awesome!
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    With all due respect Tweev, the argument could be made that following a recipe is also as "lazy and limited".

BUT, the original question was asking what the group thought of Bone Suckin' Sauce and that's where the focus should stay.

But to go off topic (since I'm not naive to know that we all do it), my best sauces are ones that I create. The problem is I don't ever write down what I did...kind of a little of this and little of that. I just like to try lots of different types and styles of sauces. I love stopping in Border Station on the way to OBX because they have myriad (oh ****, 50 cent tweev word, respect man!) sauces from all over the Carolinas and that is my wheelhouse and favorites.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well sure, laziness is a spectrum I suppose. :)

Awesome that you've worked out a sauce that works for you, something about fresh lemon or lime in BBQ sauce that I really like - that flavour to me never holds in a jar of BBQ sauce that has been sitting on the shelf for two years.

I have a jar of frozen bone suckin in my freezer. I use that when I've pulled something out of the freezer when I don't have time (time limited) or I'd rather hang out and drink beer (let's call that lazy) :)
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    "hang out and drink beer"

Funny you should mention that, it's what I'm doin' right now!!!

And IMO, just about everything is better with lime. And only ironically am I drinking BL lime as I type ;-)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Max et. al,

The young tweev falls prey to a very common ad hominem logical fallacy known colloquially as poisoning the well.

He precludes the possibility or any counter-argument to any point he proposes by attacking any possible opposition before even making his statement, attempting to bias the innocent bystanders in his favor by discrediting anyone that may oppose him.

He did the same thing to me tonight, stating that "Wow, you're counter-points are getting desperate." He doesn't bother to answer my counter points, but attempts to discredit by demeaning instead of offering demonstrative points to the contrary.
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    Options
    My all time favorite. I also have never seen Blue's Hog in a store and have not gotten around to oeder online. Have been using Sweet Baby Ray's lately though a little sweeter and thicker, but I was sold on BSS when I was in a Super gracery store one time and saw a man filling his cart with it. The wife & I looked at each other and said that stuff must be pretty good. So I have built a pretty nice pedastal for BSS in my mind B)
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    It sounds like I need to get off the snide and pick some up. I have seen it on the shelves for a long while now. Many I know have told me that it is good.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    I like it on ribs, not so much for beef brisket. I got a bottle at my local Cracker Barrel restaurant.
  • JasonATI
    JasonATI Posts: 62
    Options
    I really like BSS, I tried Blues Hog yesterday for the first time and its very thick and very very sweet. So for now i'll stick with BSS and Famous Daves rich and sassy.