Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Brisket Question

Smoking BulldawgSmoking Bulldawg Posts: 75
edited 8:24AM in EggHead Forum
Tried my first brisket today and it was good. However, when i first put the wood chips on there was much spoke, which I expected, but when the smoke changed color I put the meat on and the smoked disappeared. When the meat was finished I noticed that there were still a lot of unburned wood chips. Any suggestions?
·

Comments

• Mike in AbitaMike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Were you disappointed in the amount of smoke flavor? Are you upset that all your chips didn't burn?

If it came out good in your opinion, I'd say you nailed it. If you want more smoke flavor, add more chips, or even chumnks for that matter. Kinda hard to make a fire burn where all the wood will actually catch, and smolder.
    ·
  • I was looking for more smoke flavor, so increase my chip quantity?
    ·
  • For more smoke give chunks a try as opposed to chips.
    ·
  • Mike in AbitaMike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Definitely, I use to use an offset smoker and used quite a bit of wood along with charcoal to cook with. The flaovrs from that were quite different that the EGG. The EGG uses all of the O2 entering to create heat. Fire is significantly different than that of an offset. If you are trying to achieve the same result (or similiar) go with a lot of chips. Scatter them throughout the lump to keep a constant new source burning wherever the fire migrates to.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,736
    Like others have mentioned, forget about chips. Put a couple wood CHUNKS in with the lump and they'll smoke throughout the cook.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • asianflavaasianflava Posts: 313
    Yep ditch the chips and use chunks. I use dry chunks, no soaking.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,736
    I use dry chunks, no soaking.

Exactly.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·