Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Pie

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had some ground lamb, and wanted to make something different than lamburgers. Here's what I came up with. Took the ground lamb, and added gremolata (chopped garlic, parsley, and lemon zest) and pressed it into a pie plate. Onto the Egg, dome 350-ish, direct, raised. The pick is after the pattie had cooked to about 115, and I had poured off the rendered fat.

LambBase.jpg

While it was cooking, I mixed some leftover mashed taters with an onion/garlic confit. I spread that as a topping over the lamb.

PotatoTopping.jpg

When that was a little browned, I topped it with grated parmesan, which browned up nicely.

ParmaBrown.jpg

By this time, the internal temp of the lamb was up to 160, and I figured that although ground, it was most likely safe.

Cut it into pie wedges, and me and wife ate it all up.

PieCut.jpg

Overall, pretty good. I thought that the lemon flavor did not go really well with the very savory flavor of the garlic and onion from the confit. Next time I might try a bit of red wine in the lamb, and leave out the lemon. Also, the bottom was just a little burnt. Might leave a bit more of the juices and fat in the pan, and maybe go indirect.

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    It looks good. The red wine sounds like a fine idea. I would have put your pie dish on top of a pizza stone.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Way nice! If was there I would have fought my way to the front of the line for leftovers! 8 - ),,,
  • gdenby
    Options
    Or maybe if I were to use a real pie plate, pyrex or heavy aluminum. But I was just sort of throwing things together, and the I have a stack of the flimsy pans from pre-made shells.
  • gdenby
    Options
    I'd have been happy to offer you some, but the leftovers amounted to like one big bite. Note to self, for company, make four.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Great creativity!! Looks great!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    That's very nice indeed! One of the things I like most about this forum is the creative ideas folks come up with, especially simple throw together "What have I got in the refridgerator" kind of stuff. Not to say you didn't put a lot of thought into this one, you obviously did! :woohoo:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL