Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confessions of an Egghead re: Smoke

kip stabone
kip stabone Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This may be blasphemous but I just don't like a smokey flavor with my food. I have stopped using wood on cooks such as spatchcock chickens and tenderloins but have continued using some chunks on slow/low cooks. Well I did an overnight brisket last night and used 3 chunks (total) of apple and pecan wood. Just tried it and confirmed that I just don't like the smoke. Anybody else experience this? Are long cooks (ie. brisket or pork shoulder) still worth it without smoking? I feel like I am not using the egg to its potential. Just curious if anybody else has come to this conclusion and how they have adapted their cooks. Thanks.

Comments

• h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    I'm kinda with ya but I think in part it is because the lump I've been using (Harris Teeter) was a bit under processed, and contributing too much smoke from the lump. I'm hoping that now that I'm using RO I can control the smoke with what I throw on. For me, things like fish and chicken need only a hint of flavorful smoke, but not a smokey overbearing flavor.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    I do not like a strong flavor of smoke, but I use cherry, pecan, and apple I love the flavors but anything else is to strong.

Patti
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    I don't find it all that blasphemous. When I first got started my wife complained about the smoke. We were use to our gas grill.

Since then I learned a lot about letting the charcoal cook a while before adding the meat. If I use wood chips or chunks for smoke I know just how little to add. Now I got it to where the smoke is not the dominant taste but part of many bbq flavors going on. It takes some practice before you tweak it to your liking.
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    Taste is always personal preference. I would suggest that you make sure that your fire is burning claen prior to putting any meat on. I also put the wood chunks on about 15 minutes prior to adding the meat. I've been using cherry (had downed ttree on the farm) and apple, I feel its a little milder.
  • Fire's burning clean, I'm not talking about VOCs but the smokey flavor from wood chunks. Seems like I may need to use even less wood than I am, which is not much.
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    I'd recommend doing something you've found too smokey in past only add no chips whatsoever to see if you're picking up smoke from the lump. That'd be a good point to start from, adding more in subsequent till it come's out to your taste.
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    I agree with h2Oegg, cook something "naked" and see how it works for you.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I would recommend getting some Wicked Good lump, as it seems to have the least smokey flavor of all that I've tried. Then just add wood as or if you desire a smoke flavor.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Kip: Confession...I don't like smoked food either! :ohmy: The low n slows are still well worth it without smoking wood. When I light the egg, I let it burn long enough that the lump isn't emitting the smokey smell at all before putting my food in. Works just fine. Now that I think more, I do still smoke my homemade bacon, but I only use apple, which is mild. So no, it is not blasphemous, you just need to let the lump burn longer before adding your food. We use Royal Oak most of the time, and it burns clean smelling fairly quickly.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Michelle:

Somehow I knew you would have a comment on this one :lol:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    The only cooks I add wood chunks or chips for are baked beans and chili. For me (and more importantly my wife) meat cooks get enough smoke flavor from Royal Oak lump.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I agree w/ Michelle, I don't like heavy smoke and my sweetie likes no smoke at all, so I either use none or some fruitwood, apple or cherry. No Hickory, Oak, Mesquite, etc. ;)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Hi Jay: Gee...Wonder why... :sick::sick::sick: :laugh:
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Hey Kip haven't seen you here for awhile. There's no reason to apologize for not wanting your food to taste smokey. This is your personal preference and I'm glad you posted. I like some smoke in my cooks, others may like a lot more. That's what makes the world go round. You like what you like, I like what I do, and everyone else likes it their way too.

I can certainly agree with you on some cooks, I prefer the subtle smoke flavor of just lump. Butts, briskets, and other large pieces can certainly handle more smoke as you are eating such a small area that has been exposed to smoke that it is less noticeable. Chicken and other small pieces have a lot more surface area allowing for a stronger smoke flavor when you bite into it. Keep on cooking, esperiment with different lumps and find one or two that suite your tastes.

Now I'll go read the other responses.
  • Thanks all, lots of good stuff to ponder in here and I'm glad i'm not the only one. The brisket tasted better than I thought it did initially but I still think I've got some tinkering to do. That's what makes this fun...