Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grate gripper

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have a design or suggestion for a grate gripper. Don't really like the metal one I saw in the shop for BGE.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    kyle,[p]I use an old weed de-rooter. Picture a long screwdriver with a putty knife end. I have a gripper and you must put your hand over fire to use it. [p]Tim
  • Unknown
    Options
    kyle,[p]I got the BGE grate gripper and it works well.
    I did not like using pliers, screwdrivers, etc. because I could not get a secure grip.
    What is it you don't like about it?

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    kyle, Similiar to Tim I purchased a $3 dandelion digger from my local ACE hdwe store, ground the two sharp points off and then placed it in a vise and smacked the two points a little until they rounded over a bit. It makes a chrome plated Eggcessory fit even for snooty people though I'm just a good old boy who grew up over in Centralia some 40 years ago!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    Rob,
    Appreciate the comments guys, I don't like the fact that the gripper is metal applying pressure to the porcelin. If done improperly the porcelin will chip. I would have preferred a rubber coated or high temp plastic instead.I like the idea from the other guys very original.