Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking with alder

Options
jrterrier
jrterrier Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you have access to alder (the western garbage wood that is now being used to make cabinets and fine furniture), be sure to give it a try, as it is very worth while. [p]We have been cutting some trees, and mostly they are alder. I had my DH cut some 4" pieces and split them into small fist size pieces for smoking wood. Tonight, I used four chunks to add smoke with some steaks and corn on the cob. I wrapped the corn in foil, and poked holes in the top of the foil. I placed the corn on the coolest part of the fire. The steaks, were cooked over the hotter part of the fire. I have to say that alder is my favorite smoking wood so far. It was very, very tasty![p] I have not tried any fruitwoods yet. That will happen after the winter pruning of the orchard. I also have some maple waiting to be tried. DH complained about splitting the maple, saying it is hard to split even when only 4" thick. I think he has been using the wood splitter too much these past few years. he he he he![p]Bonnie

Comments

• jrterrier,
    Where are you located? If in the NW, I'd love to get some Alder. Trade for apple?
    I know Bodacious Bills BBQ in Auburn uses our alder exclusively and loves it. He smokes ribs, chicken and shoulder for pulled sandwiches. It is outstanding!
    Alder isn't used much but for salmon 'round most of the BBQ community but it really is a great wood to try if you have not.

• jrterrier
    Options
    smokinsteve,[p]Yes, we are in the NW. On the Olympic Peninsula, near Port Townsend. How much would you like? I think we have plenty here. We sent out several log truck loads last summer. [p]I did a roast today with alder. Again, an extremely nice flavor, and the aroma is wonderful. We have also tried hickory and mesquite, but both dh and I like the alder best. [p]We have apple too, once I trim the orchard. Not big stuff, but loads of limbs. And a few pear, but they need to grow some. Someone told me I could make a very nice driving whip for my carriage from the pear limbs. Smoking with the pear may take a back seat to that project![p]There is some big leaf maple in the lawn tractor trailer waiting for me to give it a try too. Has anyone tried it?[p]Bonnie

• trout16
    Options
    jrterrier,
    I love using alder for salmon, used alder planks and chips to help make these....

[ul][li]Pictures Here[/ul]