Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook Question

Options
Prime
Prime Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I should be getting my first Egg this weekend, and I am planning to build a table for it. Unfortunately, my schedule won't let me build the table probably for a couple weeks. I am guessing that I could just get the paver that would go in the table and set the egg on that on the deck and be ok. Does this sound like I will end up burning through my deck?

I am thinking I will do either burgers or chicken for my first cook. Stick to what I know while I get used to the Egg.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    2" paver 16" in diameter will work just fine. Use can use the three green feet also to lift it up off the paver.
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    Perhaps a Fire mat may not be a bad item if it is a wood deck. Happy Egging!!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Definetly use the three feet if the paver is going to be on a wooden deck. Put one under the hinge and space the other two evenly around, 12, 4, & 8 positions. The egg will be plenty stable and you will be fine. I had my large this way for a month of more until I could get my table built, no problem at all.
    A word of caution. If you are just one paver above a wooden deck be extra careful of sparks/embers coming out of the lower vent, a fire could start pretty quickly.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • chumdog
    chumdog Posts: 39
    Options
    Congrats on the Egg purchase. I am a two week newbie and had my table built prior to the purchase. As far as the placement, Id leave it up to the vets for that information. Dont be scared to get right at cooking. I also started off with something small that I was comfortable with, but the egg is so easy to cook on, you need not worry.
  • Prime
    Prime Posts: 52
    Options
    I will look into a fire mat to make sure I don't burn the deck. I would hate to screw up after convincing my wife that the Egg was a good idea! Thanks for the quick responses!
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    The others have responded to the paver part so I think that's covered.

I think you are doing the right cook for your first. Chicken or Burgers are always an eggcelent choice for a first cook. Quite a few come here and ask that question, and my standard answer is to cook something you are use to cooking. That way you can compare the results relatively easily. Remeber an egg is not even remotely close to a gasser of kettle when it's used as a grill. Cook things to temp rather than feel, and you will be amazed at the quality of the finished product. My first few cooks really surprised me that while items were cooked properly, it seemed too moist to be done and safe to eat. Wrong

Enjoy your EGG, as I'm sure you will, and welcome to the forum.