Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon...smoke...

Options
Hitch
Hitch Posts: 402
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry that this first pic isn't on one of my eggs, but my loyalty isn't in question. However, I do have a serious question about smoke and fish on the egg. My beautiful wife loves everything I cook, but is less thrilled about smokey fish. I actually tend to agree with her. Fish grabs that smoke so quickly, and I was wondering what you pros do to keep the smoke down short of ripping a "self cleaning" on the egg prior to a fish cook.
I will post a few other pics to make this a more appropriate BGE post! :woohoo:

salmon-1.jpg

My second oldest with a black tip at Hilton Head

willshark.jpg

For Ripnem

searedribeye.jpg

My favorite place to Egg...

Toxawaypool.jpg

Another favorite spot...see back of my truck on the right side of pic...

kiawah09001.jpg

A recent prepped whole tenderloin cook...resting before the meal. Seared them on my cast iron...

filetsfinished.jpg

on this...

searsetup.jpg

Comments

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hi H.
    I personally do not use any smoke wood. Just lump and usually cedar plank it which imparts a very mild sweeter flavor. The wife & I agree with you both that we are not keen on real smokey fish. Hope this helps. Hope to see some pic's of your cook.

5-13-07%20001.jpg?psid=1
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    I just sent you an email.

Walt
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Let your lump burn for a good while, 45 min to an hour after the fire is established, before putting your food on. This will reduce the natural smoke flavor from the lump to a minimum :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I thank you kind sir :angry: now why don't you bring a trailer full to the frozen fest this Feb. and I'll show you some other cool spots to egg. :)

Nice set-up(s) of your own by the way. ;)
  • Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    Options
    Nice pics--looks like you've got some great places to Q there!

This post comes at a great time. A friend from work just gave me 25# of yellowtail and barracuda. I was going to try smoking some of the yellowtail. The cuda is a tough fish to eat. We usually just put it in fish tacos.

But for the yellowtail, I was going to try a couple things. One would be to plank it like you show which we've used for salmon too. But I also wanted to try a real low long smoke with some light wood. Of course we've had store bought smoked salmon which we like a lot.

Does anyone have any ideas about how long or what temp this might take? I'm worried about drying it out. Thanks in advance!