Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cover Question

Options
skyhopsing
skyhopsing Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, Grilled out tonight. TS Bonnie in range. What Temp is safe for the cover?

Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I read somewhere, possibly here, that the cover can go on at 200deg, but that seems really hot to me. I normally just wait till morning.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I've got two different models. One is kinda cloth lined. I think it's the insulated cover and I've put it on at 175. The other is regular plastic or vinyl or whatever that material is. That one withstood 150, but others may have gone hotter.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You don't need no stinkin cover!! B)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Not for the Egg, but it does wonders for a wood table!
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    If you can hold you hand on the Egg without burning yourself it should be OK.
  • skyhopsing
    Options
    In Florida you need a cover, heat and humility. The Springs will rust. I have the BGE cover with the vent, I think 200 might be pushing it, I usually wait till morning but hate to look through the window, in the morning, at the rain hitting my BGE!
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    ...And we have humidity too. Where abouts? Expect wind and rain soon enough.
  • skyhopsing
    Options
    Wellington, standing by for Bonnie.
  • misfit
    Options
    Sorry, had to go look that up. Got a bunch of great eggers on the East Coast. Okay, some on the West Coast too...

Ed, in Clearwater.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Hey Misfit and Sky...Not trying to butt in...Showers (intermittent) started in here in Hollywood (No Miami) about half hour ago. As far as the cover goes, I totally agree. Made sure all eggs were covered, and just covered the egg used for dinner about an hour ago. As somebody else mentioned (sorry, I forgot whose post) as long as you can lay your hand on the egg fairly comfortably, it's cool enough for the cover. The cover can probably withstand hotter, but have always been afraid to risk it. Stay dry!! :)
  • misfit
    Options
    LC, good to have live updates, keep us posted. Also send a pic of your cinderblock shoes. :laugh:
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I put my cover on at 300-350. No issues.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I am with philsgril, once I am below 400 or so, I throw my weber covers on the egg.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    We are fortunate to have a carport for our eggs here in Tennessee.

I would like to see those cinder block shoes though. :whistle::lol: Tim
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I am in the “no stinking covers needed camp” but those that do would you not be better off without covers in high wind? Just asking with nothing to back it up with……
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I put the cover on at 200º too, but I am still not convinced that a cover is a good idea. Here on the humid Jersey Shore I often take the cover off in the morning when everything in the yard is bone dry and find the Egg soaking wet from condensation under the cover. Tables may well be another story, but I don't have one.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I put the cover on at 200º too, but I am still not convinced that a cover is a good idea. Here on the humid Jersey Shore I often take the cover off in the morning when everything in the yard is bone dry and find the Egg soaking wet from condensation under the cover. Tables may well be another story, but I don't have one.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Good point Doug, in very humid areas it may actually lock in the moisture and cause more problems. Here in arid Utah, we have mostly no humidity, so I dont have that condition. I use my cover for sun protection on the handle, and to keep the bands/hinge dry. The ceramics could stay in the sun forever without issue.

Interesting side note, my large and medium were under cover all day yesterday in the sun. When I took the black weber covers off to make pizzas in them last night, it had baked them so much, I had to use gloves to take the rain caps off because they were so hot. I probably could have done a low and slow without any fire.