Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I couldn't resist

Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ran in Sam's to pick up a few things for the office and ended up at the meat counter as usual, to do my regular inspection. Their they were.... butts at $1.26 per lb. About the best price I have found them all year.[p]Went thru the register with right at 30 lbs (4 butts) and came home to do EGG magic on them during the night. Rubbed them down with Elder's rub (my personal favorite) and rigged the egg up to cook semi-indirect with all 4 butts on one cooking grid. A little crowded as always, but they somehow made it and the dome is closed tight. They are sailing along at 230* and should come off sometime tomorrow to restock the freezer for the winter.[p]mmmmmmmmm good[p]Have a great week end y'all and stay clear of the hurricanes down south of me.[p]

Comments

• Bob,[p]I did the same, but it looks like Ivan is making his way through Texas for a rainy weekend. I'll put mine in the freezer now for not so rainy weekend.[p]The aroma tonight should be fantastic![p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister,
    Ed:[p]I hope it's a rainy weekend...I'm a pervert that way....most grounds maintenance people are, but there's not a cloud in the sky right now in San Antonio(8:00 pm). I know...it's Texas....and, I expect to be wet tomorrow morning. How are you guys doing? Tell Leisel HI! [p]Wet weather keeps me in...which means fewer distractions...which means more time to myself...which means more time in the workshop...which means...well, I think you get the point. [p]Have a good one. Go Tech!![p]Mike

• Grumpa
    GrillMeister,[p]Ivan refuses to die. I hate it for you. We just got through cleaning up the mess he left here in Atlanta for us.[p]Best wishes and prayers to you.

• Bob,
    In my response to Grillmeister, I sure didn't mean to slight the impact of Ivan the Terrible. You have certainly had more than your share, and we have all been really concerned for you guys for the past few weeks. It's just that this far inland, a shower is usually welcomed in Texas. Hopefully, this season will end for you guys soon.[p]You are in our thoughts and prayers,[p]Mike[p]Best wishes,[p]Mike

• Bob,[p]Here in Austin, we'll just get a little wet, maybe a flash flood or two.[p]But I thought about it after I typed up my message and now have 29 pounds of pork butt smoking along at 225. The hickory smoke smells wonderful.[p]I put my egg rain cap on, covered the power supply on the BBQ Guru, and put a foil raincoat over the guru itself. If it rains, the egg will do fine as it always has.[p]I'll be up late checking on it anyway and enjoying a cold one.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Lawn Ranger,[p]It has been dry for a spell. As I mentioned to Bob, I did get around to putting 29 pounds of pork butt on the egg. It's a good thing, cause I'm heading up to Ottawa on Monday for the week, eh![p]Liesel & the kids are fine, busy as ever. I did wings last night (trying out different recipes for Eggtoberfest) and now my 11 year old son wants to egg with me. I get the large and he wants to do wings on the small. Hmmm... Eggsimilation at a very young age is good for the heart.[p]Cheers & Beers to ya down in San Antonio.[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Grumpa
    Lawn Ranger,[p]I did not take your post in any light except the manner it was intended. Rain is always welcome here in our area as well.... just don't need 5 inches in 6 hours though :~([p]It was not too bad here in Atlanta and to listen to people around here complain about picking up a few limbs in the yard and then looking at the pictures in the Gulf area makes you realize how very little we have to really complain about.[p]I sure hope Jeanne shows a little mercy down there.[p]Hope you see a rainbow after the rain over there Mike :~) I'm sure enjoying the nice handles you made for me.[p]

• Grumpa
    GrillMeister,[p]Just one word my friend.....[p]ATTABOY![p]:~)[p]Keep the spirts high....
  • Bob,
    That makes it all worthwhile...have a great weekend.[p]Mike

• butpic10.jpg
    <p />Bob, and those same butts, if buy the case, were only $1.06 a lb! A good buy and keep your eyes out, the pork market is coming down. The pic is a butt and a half that I cooked y'day. Injected with Dale's Sauce and apple juice. Rubbed with assorted spices and cooked at 235-240° for nine hours. Pulled at 195°.

• Grumpa
    Rumrunner,[p]Those look GREAT![p]Mine have been on about 12 hours now and are sitting at 161* internal with a dome of 240* Made it through the night without a hitch. I estimate having pulled pork somewhere around 3PM today.[p]Can't wait :~)